View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Heavy Contributor

Ok here's my entry. This is the best mod I have ever done to a yerf chassis. Because Rarerat is doing the wheel/hub/tire conversion and will probably get real tired of those crappy ball joints real soon I thought I would post some pics of this mod. We all know what upgrading the wheel/tires does to improve the ride characteristics, these mods take it to a whole new level!
The a-arms were stripped of all the ball joint tabs then drilled and heim bungs welded in. the chassis pivot ends [not shown in pics were sleeved with denali bushings and zerk grease fitting added. The heims give aprox. 12 degrees of camber adjustment in or out. The wheels may look a bit off cause they were set up for a banked dirt oval when the pics were made.
The lower shock mounts were moved outwards to accommodate a longer travel Works shock and correct the suspension geometry after adding wider wheels. The steering rod heim ends have zero play and alignments settings hold! The buggy goes when and where I point it with no push at any speed.
The spindles were beefed with a 3/4 axle. a 4x4 hub with zerk fittings added.
The steering rod standoffs are made to keep the steering rods parallel with the a-arms during suspension travel. This eliminated the bump steer.
Along with Works shocks, [ not mounted in pic. they are off, getting rebuilt] Kenda front max tires on 8x8 steel wheel with a 3-1/2 x 4-1/2 offset.
the grinding marks on the backside of the spindle were done for clearance to make camber adjustments easier. I just forgot to touch up the paint.
I have thrashed and tossed the buggy as hard as I can, jumped stumps and rocks at speed wanting to know what would break and if it holds. The set up takes everything perfectly! The only malfuction experienced is when I t-boned another buggy on the track at aprox 30 mph. Only damage was a busted shock and a torn a-arm chassis mounting point! I then re-enforced the tabs in the spider box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (95.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (86.4 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (85.3 KB, 62 views)