View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Lurker

Default Hammerhead 250SS Drivetrain questions

I just got a used HH 250SS that had been sitting a while and it has a broken shifter. The previous owner was under the impression that the clutch was at fault for the broken shifter. It did appear that the belt was past its prime and the clutch (rear) pulley was spread apart and the part that moves seemed to be rusted in the wide position if that makes any sense. I am currently trying to find a replacement clutch, variator, and belt. I don't want to sink a great deal of money in case the trans is internally broke. Saying that, the few places ive seen specific CF250 parts that mention they are made for the Hi/Lo versions of the motor want $250-$300 just for the clutch and another $150-$200 for the variator. I keep getting mixed info on which parts will fit. I've also seen some of the variators as low as $70 and clutch kits for as low as $85 for stock replacements. Most of the less expensive variators seem to be a half inch too short in diameter. I dont know if this will even work or just kill some top end. If the internals of the trans are in good working order I would then get proper upgrades. Does anyone have any insight on this matter? Any suggestions or advise are welcome.