View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Lurker

Bit of an update:

I worked on it this weekend a bit. Got the clutch apart, it had quite a bit of rust in the inside of the bell and clutch springs and main spring. The inside where the belt rides the clutch when it is fully spread it had a bit of rust on the surface keeping the clutch pulley halves from fully contracting. It all looks like the cause of this was from the previous owner putting the wrong belt on it. I think they had the 835 when it was supposed to be the 868. This kept the rear pulley spread apart and probably messed up all sorts of other things in the CVT system. I also took apart the variator assembly. It was mostly in good shape other than surface filth. The rollers had a few flat spots. The roller surface seemed to be in good shape. For the sake of keeping a budget, I ordered some new 20g rollers to get the thing going. I also ordered a replacement clutch assembly, belt, and shifter. The more I was looking at the old shifter and all the "rigging" that was done to it, the more I realized it could become a headache to try and repair. I was able to use a few tools and run the trans through all the gears. It managed to get in hi and lo which the previous owner said it would not shift into low. At least this appears that it is not an internal problem yet.