View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Lurker

Default Yamaha SRV540 into Honda FL250

Here we are again,,
First the kart is articulated, I can take it apart and work on front or back as separate pieces. It also seems to ride smoother too. With the extra 13” I add to the frame, the motor is set lower for better turn stabilization.
The motor is mounted on a plate that is held in position by four bolts. Removing the bolts, belt and throttle, gas line and electrical wires I can then remove unit for bench repair.
With the motor removed I now have complete access to jackshaft, axel, brakes or chain.
Using the Polaris brake cylinder (as suggested above). Have a Suzuki master cylinder for main brake and a Honda master cylinder for emergency brake (all from a bone yard) alongside the original FL250 mechanical brake. Emergency brake is great, but the main finger brake is poop! Still working on the right adjustment for proper operation.
Added a roll cage 1 ¼´ x .120 round tube. The old cage was to bent or the wrong material to be safe. The whole install was like a Manco with bolts for easy disassemble for repair. It did increase top weight. From the few drives I have tried the kart seems stable on turns.
The steering still has toe in on the right and must fix the brakes. Screams like a banshee, my wife says I must quiet it down. I picked up a Kawasaki 600cc muffler to try and tone it down. It has a large flow thru so should not affect the back pressure to the expansion chamber. Fingers crossed on that, do not need to burn up the engine.
Here are a few picture of the cage going to gether. All the build picture are at--------------------
https://plus.google.com/photos/10743...03637526144481
Enjoy
Robert :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 121.jpg (97.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 126.jpg (97.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 131.jpg (99.9 KB, 23 views)