View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 02:54 AM
Contributor

Default 70s VW sandrail aka Crossfire 3800

Picked this guy up for 80 bucks with clear title two like new super swampers and two motors. A vw 1600 and a porsche 1800 and 5 rib bus transaxle. The 1800 had slung a rod and did permanent damage to the case and the 1600 was a smoker so at first i was going to go with a subbi 4cyl but after looking at the cost of adapters i was like nope not gonna happen but then i stumbled across a nib adapter and custom made flywheel for the buick 3800 for 150 shipped and bought it. Then as i was working for the 2 local scrap yards we got a wrecked 99 pontiac grand prix gtp with the supercharged 3800 and worked out a deal to trade them a wrecked honda accord i bought for 100 bucks for the motor and wiring harness etc.

The goal is to have this done before summer is over. I still got to go get the motor. Main things to do before putting the motor on is to repair some cancer as both lower outer frame tubes are rotted about 2 ft on both sides. No other cancer on the frame other than some pitting on the upper rollcage which had to have come from padding or something being wrapped around the upper bars at some point in its life.

Main question is what is the best way to repair the lower frame? The two lower outer tubes are 2x2 square tubing where the rest of the buggy is all round tubing....not sure why that is but it is. You can sorta see it behind the nerf bars and its the same on the other side.

HH250SS..RIP (IRS donor for the crossfire)
HammerHead 150
Gs Moon buggy 150
Many other random parts buggys (still never have what im needing tho :/ )