View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

I've run many a 50cc-125cc Honda horizontal clone and broke the exhuast on all of them-I tried rubber bushings at the muffler mounts and added additional bracing and sleeved the broken pipes only to have it fail. I bought an aftermarket pipe and broke it too (pipe was a little thicker). Tired of re-welding them as you were and through desperation to keep them driving I took the stock pipes from 2 old Honda 125 3-wheelers I had parted out and they worked like a champ and the kids were up and running immediately. The real Honda exhaust has twice the thickness of pipe (close to schedule 40). The configuration of the pipe wasn't an issue for me as my kart's are home-built. Any new or used Honda horizontal motor from scooters to ATV's should work as the exhaust port is similar in diameter from 50cc - 125cc.Keep in mind the Honda flange is much thicker so you may need to install longer studs/bolts, you can get them at most auto parts store. Note- the flanges on the starters break pretty easily from impacts too- Great inexpensive motors though!