View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Contributor

I thought I might try some Muriatic Acid to try and clean up the rust in the tank. I bought 2 gallons from Home Depot and the other day and gave it a try. It seemed to remove a small bit of the rust but didn't really even put a dent into it. OK plan B, back to the electrolysis idea. I didnt really know what to expect but I figured i had nothing to loose so I bent a piece of 3/8 all thread and stuck it into the tank and filled it full of water and a half box of baking soda and hooked it to my battery charger. After about 5 minutes I shut it off and pulled the all thread out for a quick peak. I have to say I am amazed at the progress so far, The all thread already has a small amount of rust build up and the water/baking soda solution was already starting to look rust colored.

After about 2 hours, you could start to see where the all thread was already starting too show signs of being eaten away and the water/baking soda solution was just flat nasty looking. I am going to let it run all night and I will check it again tomorrow afternoon. I may change the water/baking soda solution and let it go another day or two if need be.

I wish I had taken a few pictures before I started, but this tank was pretty bad. I was pretty disappointed with the Acid, but hopefully this will provide better results. I will let you all know how it turns out, if this really does work you can clean a rusty tank for about 3 bucks worth of baking soda.