View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Voltage regulator 150 GY6

Hi, I'm new to this site and fairly new to these buggues as well but lots of years experiance with vintage type go karts, mini-bikes, etc & cars / trucks. I too am going through this exact issue right now with my SunL buggie. I was told that you / someone can check them but when I took my old one to the local shop they didn't really answer me when I asked about testing it. However on mine, on the back side where the epoxy seal is there was an internal burn / flash mark and it also looked fractured / crystalized inside some areas of the epoxy seal. It looked like the seal had partially pulled away from the outer edges on 2 sides of the body of the regulator. Generally this effect usually is an outward sign of electrical failure/s so I purchased the new one without worrying about testing it. I had 2 choices (1) exact replacement that only had the cooling fins on 1 side, or (2) a larger one that had cooling fins on 3 sides. Either one was & $25.00 + tax so I elected to go with the one with the extra cooling fins since I live in the AZ desert and they clained it was also better electrically (?). Im going to put it in this afternoon so I'll let you know if it corrected my problem so it might help you too. The part is a lot cheaper online but I'm getting ours ready for this weekend so I didn't want to wait to have it shipped to me.