View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 08:38 AM
Heavy Contributor

the splatter was very small. I took edge of some thin metal and went across the disk. put a thin rag in front of it. did a pretty good job. Thanks for the idea.

I finally got everything back together. There for while, I was concerned as if engine was running good or not. Had a day with high in mid 70's. Got some fresh gas, and was able to get it started long enough to get it running down the road. Got it opened up. cough and putted alittle, before could get to full speed. Once I did, ran like a champ. Think it had cabin fever.

As far as the ride, with the different shocks? I forgot to grab the seat cushion's for the seat. So might have felt more than normal. on the smaller stuff, I could feel a softer ride. But not sure about some bigger holes or bumps. When got it on the dirt road, felt like a car ride going down the road.
Had my son get in it, and see what he thought. He thought it felt alot better. Keep in mind he 100 lbs lighter than me. When I saw him drive off, I kept an eye on the shocks. Looks like they hardly moved. and was an area that has some pretty good chop to it. Had him do it multi times, and still looked like they hardly moved.
From what it came off of, was guessing they might be to stiff. Now if the shocks are not fully charged, like they should be, would that affect the performance that much?
Here is the thing, from the previous shocks I had on it, I could tell these are much softer. At least on the top end of them. When I really try to push down on them putting my weight on the very back of the cargo rack, I can feel them stiffen up fast on the last 1/3 of the down stroke. I tried to do the same thing, but this time pushed down on the cross bar right behind the seats. And it was much harder to get the shocks to compress. Alot harder.
noticed also, that I couldn't actually get and compression on the springs them self. Was just the cylinder that moved. not really any movement on the springs them self.
I really couldn't tell for sure, but was trying to guess how much movement I actully got on the shocks. from what I guessed, didn't even get 1/2 of what they can do. But again that was a guess.
Going to try again today, if temps get up good enough to keep it running good. This time take it out where got some bigger stuff, and a few small jumps. See what I can get the shocks to do. Will try to video of the movement. And somehow mark, how much movement I'm really getting. I'm guessing best way to do that is to slide the bottom boot up to the top, and see how far it slides down on the shaft?

before I change the performance of the shocks, want to see what they are really doing. That said, really leaning toward getting the tools needed to work on them myself. I've got 2 buggy's and 4 sets of shocks, I will be working on, so in long run, think be worth the effort to learn it. if do need to change the performance of shocks, it could get pretty expensive really quick sending them in. Which defeats the purpose of buying used. Think going to adjust the fronts also. watching them also, looks like I got to much preload on them. only time they seem to compress is on a sharp turn. which doesnt happen much unless trying to do something. Will play with that also.