View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 07:17 AM
Heavy Contributor

The idea behind adding a hose extension to prevent clogging of the inlet and giving a clean fresh air source. The small foam filter inside the rubber intake boot will clog in a matter of minutes under some conditions. A 2.5' hose, a couple of feet long will not restrict air flow. The variator fan is not that efficient and doesn't exceed the volume of air supplied by a extension. The type of filter used can do more damage than good. A carb filter can be too restrictive as there isn't the velocity to pull air through. All you need is something to keep junk out, a fine screen or a scotch pad is good.
There's two schools of thought on sealing the belt system. those who continually get into deep water want to seal the case in order to keep as much water as possible out while others who may get wet on occasion want plenty of avenues for water to escape quickly. Those who continually douse the system in dirty muddy water have as much maintenance to keep the system clean. A day in the swamp requires a good cleaning if you expect the system to perform through that trip again. Like any mechanical devise , it's not fool proof and will require attention if you expect it to last.
Water doesn't permanently damage the system, just creates belt slip until the belt dries. Flushing clean water through the system on occasion washes away dust and trash and clears the passages. I'll take a water hose to the extension, flush and run dry.
As we speak, I'm fabbing a box scoop to house a small fan to force air down the extension. it will mount up on the rear rack. The fan might not make a significant difference but it won't hurt. I just thought I'd give it a try.