View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Power User

I can picture what you want to do. my thought on it though, is that you're still possibly ending up with a shaft (the bolt through the mount flanges & heim) that is "loose" and will be transmitting the shock into the openings it passes through. What you've now got me thinking about doing is welding bolts through the bulkhead plates from front to rear so they're fixed and slipping the heim jointed a-arm on from the back and nutting it in place on the welded in bolt. The ID of the tubing I'm using would allow me to install a pretty hefty heim and mounting "stud" and i'd be able to have the heim right up against the bulkhead. drawback is it's one sided support of the connection vs two sided. while we're on this type of subject, having to repeatedly straighten out the flimsy steering rods on mine every time i blip a tree or rock got me to thinking about where to put hardware designed to fail before something like a ripped out a-arm mount or bent spindle occurs. This is something for when i finish the a arm conversion and install a rack & pinion. i was thinking that a drilled out (stacked holes) tie rod stud wouldn't be a bad idea. keep a couple in the buggy taped to a wrench for quick field replacement ....