Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

If you feel you need to test your sanity/patience this chore will do it!!!! I had a left over straight expansion chamber. My thinking is to keep the length the same as someone already did the math on it. Don't know how many bends it needs to get out to the muffler can location. So I started at the exhaust manifold and started measuring and butchering. What I found out really quick was- how do I hold these odd/tapered thin metal pieces of pipe to mark/fabricate and weld-up by myself? I only have 2 hands and clamps just don't work- There's the SANITY test!!! I marked miters and rotated the cut-off piece 180 degrees each time to keep the circumference the same to weld-up. Ended up 2" shorter than I started with- and just missed being straight onto the muffler can (came off a Polaris) flange. Didn't turn out too bad for my first time at creating a home built expansion chamber. If I get time I'll cut the 2 hard/mitered outside corners with some football shaped slivers to round them off- That's assuming I killed it's performance value. I could've just ran an exhaust pipe into a muffler but I like to hear that "rocks in a can" sound a 2 stroke has.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 440 buggy 48.jpg (35.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 440 buggy 49.jpg (29.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 440 buggy 50.jpg (30.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 440 buggy 51.jpg (37.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 440 buggy 52.jpg (41.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 440 buggy 53.jpg (37.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 440 buggy 54.jpg (37.6 KB, 25 views)