View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Lurker

Default Tecumseh govenor

Tecumseh govenors do many things. They obviously control top end engine rpm, but they do two other things.
1. They actually hold the throttle plate almost full open when you start up the engine to allow it to start, and then drops engine speed down to idle immediately as soon as it starts.

2. Their spring setting also overides the idle stop screw somewhat.

Understanding that, to start yours without the govener attached, you'll need to have someone step on throttle and let it go as soon as it starts to copy what the govenor does. Someone else already mentioned that. Make sure no one is standing in front of cart if they don't let off throttle quick enough. You'll also need to set the idle stop screw so it is now the real stop (higher) as govenor was likely pulling it up beyond screw stop setting. (The govenor spring and not the idle set screw was likely previously controlling your idle speed)

I'm telling you this just to let you know why you are having the problems you are having. I realize it is not much help to you for really good solution. I'd suggest put the govenor back. I'm not a Tecumseh fan, so personally would not trust it to not blow up all stock with just the govenor removed. Hopefully someone else has a better workaround for you.