Thread: New project
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Lite Contributor

I'm going to leave the steering like it is. It turns easily. The shocks measure 12". The spindles are from a Carter kart and are angled downward. I took the original spindles and welded a 5/8 bolt (had 3/4) to match the 5/8 hubs. I welded it straight (not angled) and the front tires with the single A-Arm design were horribly angled. Thats why the previous owner/builder had 2 sets of shocks on front. I will have to cut off the spindle bolts and weld them at the same angle as the Carter spindles or cut off the spindle bracket and angle it downward. I highly recommend going with double A-Arm design to keep the front tires level. When accelerating the tires ride on the outside and when slowing down they ride on the inside. They are level when cruising. I'm going to leave it as is for now because adding an upper A-Arm will require some frame modification. It is a blast to ride. I will take a video and post it when I get a chance. With the current gearing it don't climb too well but it really flys. I will take my Garmin with me and see how fast. I estimate about 40mph but its hard to judge so close to the ground. If you like, I can take some measurements. There are a few things I would change if I were building it.