Thread: Hatchet Job
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Power User

engine is finished, 125 to 150 cc conversion went pretty smoothly ... 'cept for some chucklehead who forgot to put the timing chain on when bolting the halves together ..and then forgot you can't get the upper timing chain guide in with the the halves bolted together ....third time was the charm. jug n top end were Xlint's with some porting to the head he'd done to it, so time to put that to the test pretty soon. A-10 cam, cheap junk new carb and basic exhaust. Also put an 8-pole stator and flywheel in it that I got from him. It's going to be interesting when i wire it up since i have no clue what type cdi is in the wiring bundle that came with the old beast. may run ok, may run rev limited or it might melt the cdi ...

with that job out of the way, setting the engine mount tube threw me a curveball in that I can't run the 39T sprocket i have. putting it on one side of the axle mount puts the chain in the boss that the reverse box reinforcing brackets bolt to, and is to close to the bottom of the case even without that. put it on the other side and the drive sprocket ends up too close to the engine case, no room for even a thin head bolt where the tensioner mount hole is.

So after monkeying the axle in and out 4 times, i got the 32 tooth sprocket on it with no clearance issues. Question now is run either a 6.0 or a 7.0 final ratio with the 23" tall rear tires ?? i've got the 16T sprocket ready to weld for a 6.0 ratio. for 7.0 i'd have to cut down and bore out a 14T sprocket i have in the supply. did the bore-out with a die grinder mounted in my drill press and went round n round for ever inside the bore. not looking forward to that again. .....