View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Lurker

Default Handicapped/Hand Control Buggy?

Hey All,

I am a Newbie here, so please accept my apologies in advance if I don't know my way around yet...

I joined here in hopes of gaining from your experience and knowledge as I attempt to gain better access to areas I really can't get to in my wheelchair (the beach, park, down a dirt road...).

I have always been a car guy, and more importantly an off-road car/buggy guy (from the mid 70's-80's). I built a lot of stuff back in the day, and have given waaay too much thought to what I hope to find/create to gain more mobility independence. I have tried 4x4 wheelchairs (not my thing at all), and track vehicles aren't either. The mid 80's Honda Pilot(?) was a start, but I really prefer a side by side.

I hate to admit it, but I've been seeing a few Chinese manufactured rail frames that look quite interesting. I prefer to buy/build American, and perhaps one day I will be able to, but I can't even begin to fabricate a rail frame for what I can supposedly buy a completer running buggy for.

Specifically I am looking for what I believe is a Dongfang DF500GK-A? From what I can find, it looks like that model might be a couple of years old? The seating seems to be reclined back a bit more than most buggies/Karts? I don't know if they were ever imported into the US. If anyone knows of one I would like to learn more.

It further appears to me that a 500cc model seems to begin adult size, AND offer a rear split axle? Electric start, automatic and reverse are all a must. 2x4/4x4 switchable possibly? Certainly hand controls (though I think I will be fabricating those, at least initially).

I don't need speed or noise, just drive along the beach and through the sand.

Ultimately I would like to go to electric power to gain better acceptance=Access to beaches.

Something like this:
http://www.fourwheel-atv.com/photo/p...pare_parts.jpg

I'll leave it with y'all for now, and see what your thoughts are.

Thanks