View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 03:14 AM
Heavy Contributor

Yeah, I've done a ton of searching and found people have been using ATF in shocks for a long time, some guys said they have been using it for years with no problems. This is on MX bike forks and what not also. The ATF fluid is pretty much 10wt and it is a bit thicker than the shock oil I took out of the shocks.

I got the mods done and I can personally say that the shock is much better, things are much smoother and the squishy noise is pretty much gone away. Damping is better also with the heavier weight fluid and no air mixed with the oil (as best I can). I still can't charge the shocks to the PSI that I'd like, I can only put 125 in them from my compressor (but realistically it's not even that much because of the loss from the air chuck when it's disconnected). I would like to get up to 150 at least with nitro and see how that works.

I drilled and tapped 2 10-24 holes in the top of the shocks, one for fill and the other for air bleed. If you really want to get technical I'm sure you could screw in some 10-24 nipples and do a vacuum bleed of the system cycling the oil. I just filled them up from one hole and let the air flow from the other, it took me a little time because I would let it sit after a few CC's of fluid to let the air flow out. Once done, I just screwed in the bolts with some washers and o-rings and done.

I put them back on the buggy and jumped on it for a while to see if I would get any leakage and I have none. Now to get it on the trails and see how it works out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shock Mod.jpg (63.4 KB, 45 views)
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.

Last edited by T3beatz; 05-08-2012 at 09:36 AM.