View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
If you have a locked rear end the widder front should give a tighter turn radius.
It looks great, can't wait to hear how it handles.
TOM
Thanks that is good to know, these have locked rear ends. I am pretty anxious to see how it handles also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
After looking at the pic of the 2-seater someone else built they must've narrowed the floorpan alot!!! Part of the Oddy's comfort was the placement of your legs straight out in front of you since your butt is almost flat on the chassis. I'm all for function over the form/appearance any day.
I was able to track down the last known owner of it through Youtube, but unfortunately he bought it the way it was and said he was not very mechanical and no idea what they did. he did tell me, basically the original was a miserable failure. It would take a foot ball field to turn it because if you turned the steering wheel past about a 1/4 of the way the tire would hit the shock. When talking to him I couldn't understand why at the time, but now I realize the builder must have really moved everything inward on the front end.

Like yourself my main concern is it is functional and safe, before I worry about it being pretty. I want to take it out and drive it before I make any real changes to the front end but I still think I can pull about 8"s out of the front end with out too much trouble if need be. I did buy a pair of rear wheel spacers on Feebay last night so worst case I can get the front & rear widths the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380400561522...#ht_500wt_1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
front 3/4 view looks badass! It's too bad they use the trailing link set-up on those--nothing wrong with it, it just looks like it makes it pretty difficult to revise the front end without major cutting unless you make you're own pick-up points for all of it. 67 is pretty big! If you bring the tires in like you're thinking, any thought of a straight chop off and adding about a foot to the length? Looks like you're going to be "fighting" foot/legroom and tire clearance worries along with some really fun tube angles to hassle with to pull them in. I really liked the handling change when i widened mine out up front, turn-in on tight corners just seems to happen "now" if you get my drift--which is why i just found myself a set of pre-made yerf nerfs in my scrap pile. Aside from knowing the actual width compared to most buggies, it looks pretty "natural". Donor= next project??? ))))
Thanks, yeah I completely agree the front J arm suspension on these things is really sub par compared the the A arm front end on the Pilot and other buggies. A straight chop is basically what I am thinking and then pulling 8-10"s out of the width and then just add some tubing like I did in the rear to re attach the front end back on. I almost think I can move the front shock to the inside of the frame to avoid the tire rubbing issue and If I chop it right where the front end welds on it, in theory shouldn't really effect the leg room.

It's good to know yourself & Tom have said there is an advantage in turning with the wider front end. With these things, you do most of your turning with the throttle anyhow so and help with be nice. To be honest, even though the front end is wider than I would like, I think it will be fine. Once the floor in done & the cage is on it will change the whole look of it.

The donor frame will get stored away until I come up with my next bright idea for a buggy project.