View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Power User

Nice. ))) When my daughter was two, I told her the MGA would be hers ... i've got 10 years left to go to work on it. one of the first things she said is that I have to paint it yellow, orange and pink ...hence the mini-shark's paint scheme. Something tells me that didn't get it out of her system. LOL.

As far as fiberglass goes, pretty easy, a little messy. Rather than a direct spray onto the plastics, (curing heat might warp them) i'd put an intermediate layer in (welding blanket etc,) then heavy tinfoil back-taped together with mold release spray on it. Using fiber matting--not mesh, just lay on a thin resin base, work the matting into it followed by more resin to fully penetrate it. Basically you then just build it up in layers that way to the desired thickness. temperature control and correct hardener amount is key so it doesn't set up faster than you can work. You can work fresh into cured withotu issues. you could work inside and make an under-sized version, or outside and make it oversized. Other than the sticky aspect, most people don't like to deal with it because of getting the itches sanding it out. I always liked playing with it myself. One of the few media that correct a goof is really easy. Make a version of your good tub, then cut it in the middle and use more glass to build between them to fill the difference.