View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 AM

So I went and bought the HD axle for the Yerf Dog from BD. I gotta tell you, I have not been happy with anything I ever got from that place.

1. The sprocket and brake rotor hubs that slip over the splines are way too loose for my liking. I've got what I feel is excessive play up/down and left right for something that is going to put all of the engine's power and go karts weight on them.

2. The hub splines are too tight. The hubs are supposed to slide on the axle about 1 1/2" and 1 goes on 1/2" before it binds up, while the other slides on 1/4". If I hammer these things on, I'm either "A" going to damage the bearing hangers or bearings on the axle, "B" never going to ever get them off, or "C" both.

3. One hub is tapped for the axle nuts while the other side is drilled out. (no threads)

4. When I called them and left a message about this I never got a call back.

So I'm done buying anything from them ever again........ I wish Tom at Syc Powersports would carry all of the Yerf Dog stuff. He's been a great help with everything I've ever needed, and seems to be with everyone else judging from the feedback left by others. (great job Tom)

I'm really bothered by the amount of slop on the sprocket/brake rotor hubs. Those are small splines and I have about 1/8" slop up and down, while getting almost 1/4" slop left/right. I don't think it'll be tough to strip them with this much play. And that's with the hub clamps installed. I cannot get them tight enough to hold the hubs still.

And now I need to see why the wheel hub splines are too tight, then modify them to fit properly.

It just pi$$es me off when you pay $300 (more than I paid for the cart) for a part and it comes to you with such poor quality control.

Anyway, I found a 36 tooth sprocket at Tractor Supply for $30. The hub hole was a perfect fit off the shelf. All I had to do was drill it for the 4 mounting bolts.

Pretty sure it was said that a 37 tooth would equal the same ratio as stock before I added the reverse gearbox. I'm hoping the 2mm stroker crank can make up for the minor ratio change and that this will bring my RPM back down to normal operating range.

I'll keep you guys posted.