View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Heavy Contributor

[QUOTE=xlint89;29427]Replaced the needle and seat on the carb, but I use the petcock now regardless. (never had one installed on it)

Now I have ANOTHER issue with the overly priced HD axle from BD.

The driver's side axle nut keeps coming loose. It's a nylock nut. So I'm going to have to use safety wire or a cotter pin of some sort.
QUOTE]

The "nylocks work good but their only usable one time. After installing and removing a couple of times the holding power of the nylon insert is gone.
Shurelocks work on the same principle only they have a steel insert which gives them a longer service life but they still have be replaced. I use the shurelocks extensively and have no problems with loosening but then I replace them with new ones after a few uses. Fastenal carries both in most all sizes, buying in quanities of 100 or so cost pennies each and keeps a good supply on hand.
Shurelocks don't depend on torque pressure to hold like a standard nut but will stay in place regardless of the position they are placed on bolt threads. They stay and won't vibrate off. A bolt may get loose but you won't lose it and have something fall off. Your not stretching or stripping threads so bolt life is forever.
A couple of examples, a shock mount,, you can tighten enough to take up side clearance in the tabs but leave the bolt loose enough to allow the shock to pivot without pinching. A wheel hub can be set to a proper bearing tension without having to either tighten or loosen to get a cotter pin to line up as with castle nuts. Anywhere else on a buggy you don't have to crank down on them for holding power but rather simply snugging them up holds firm. This is very handy if you got to bust a nut loose or tighten up in the woods. You can loosen or tighten with a pair of pliers if that's all you got