View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Power User

Nothing has changed too much. I did open up the jet as i indicated. if i went by number drill size, i'd put a 166 tec jet at about 54, and i went to 56 which might been a couple thousandth's in dia. change.

I went through the laundry list of little stuff this morning.

1. i overfilled the oil, by about 1/2 inch on the stick. corrected that.

2. cleaned the plug and tailpipe so i have a comparative basis. it was carbon coatedf before i drove it, so no way to tell and that may have contributed. dry carbon, not wet oil sludge.

3. messed with the linkage (2 hours worth of fiddling) I think it was pulling the throttle plate beyond 90 degrees. Don't know if that's possible physically or if there is a stop in the carb bore. Was curious if that might cause a dramatic change in mixture flow. Also, i think the governor arm was overpowering the lone spring i had hooked to the throttle cable arm. i think there's a chance that under load, the governor arm was closing the throttle. I could put it up on stands and run it, but it won't replicate a loaded condition.
Solution i've gone with is a stronger spring. I also have to put a pedal stop on my gas, i can go way past full throttle with the pedal.

4. I have to tighten the chain, it's definitely too loose. i think the small sprocket is getting chain wrap and also contributing to the way the convertor reacts.

5 steering, moved the hole in the pitman arm up (creating a shorter arm) I think this will reduce some of the effort and I also made sure the new hole location made the steering rods parallel with the control arms. took a chunk out of the ackerman issue by doing that.

So now it's time to tighten the chain and test drive .... and decorate the house and "de-yerf widow" my wife .....