Thread: first glimps
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
Please keep in mind, this is one of those things that though it may work on paper it may not work in reality. The swing arm heim mod has never been tested!
A lot of the stuff I've shown during this project have worked well for me for many years. The boxed bearings and axle conversion have held up perfectly for over five years.
This Mod still has to serve the test of time.
The heims are 5/8 X 5/8-18 with a load rate of 13,400 lbs. That's all I know!
Our company uses Midwest components Inc. for so much stuff, Midwest assigned a service/tech rep. just to handle our business. He travel around the country visiting the various facilities. I see him every couple of weeks or so. I explained to him what I was looking for, next trip through he tosses heims on my workbench," These ought to work for ya"
I can get specs. part# etc if you need them.
Actually, it has a little bit ... aurora heims, specs buried somewhere in my thread. they were in for the couple miles of rock hell i put it through at Line mtn. along with somewhere around 20-30 hours worth of riding. sure it's not long term, but they held up for that with a total swingarm weight of 250 pounds. in some way's i'm sorry i didn't run that back end for another season. I also didn't go into the swingarm heims blindly, consulted with a customer/friend who's a race engineer, specifically in the area of suspension design who pretty much said what ckau's testing has shown.

Another variation of ckau's axle hangar mod using 3-in. angle iron--keeps one brake bolt out in the open ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ax2.jpg (84.6 KB, 39 views)