View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Contributor

Default Spiderbox front end upgrade options

Now that I'm drivable (brake posts) I've started thinking about how/if to upgrade the front tires. I've been reading everything I can find, and think this is the upgrade path I should take. But, before I start spending money, I want y'alls advice. The statements below are based on all I've read - please correct me if wrong!
I've got a generation 2 front end (uneven a-arms and silver spindles).
I want to put on bigger tires for ground clearance and better handling, but I drive (oops, I meant to say my grandsons) mostly on a dirt track, no jumping, rocks, etc. I will get on sand from time to time when the river is dry.
What it think the plan should be:
1. Add hubs to front, either the 4/110 from BD (IF they ever have them in stock) or add 4/4 inch hubs, available almost anywhere, and maybe more tire options, even golf cart tires.
2. Get new BD HD spindles and get longer bolt, then add hubs, and since the bigger tires might put more stress on the front end, prevent failures.

However, now the problem.... if i got with #2, should I change to even a-arms first ? any advantage, or am I just fine with uneven on the dirt track ? I've been reading a lot, but no "definitive" answer. This is where I want someone to say, yes, or no, based on when they did it. (yes, I want to benefit from your experience and maybe save me money!)

The ball joints seem very tight now, and I know I will have to replace them eventually, but holding that off until later, as well as the reinforced front and a-arms.

Pictures of stock below, spindle spaces slid out to show they are not welded on. Note: I've added some 11" shocks I had left over from another project, seem to work ok.

Your experiences please ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0077.jpg (28.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0078.jpg (31.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0079.jpg (35.9 KB, 49 views)