View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 06:43 AM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Is it running like a raped ape?
for a built 400 going against what is now a class of full-on 1000 cc power adder GNCC/Dirt Riot race machines I have no complaints whatsoever. Despite it being what, 3 years? I have yet to tap top rpm in 4th or 5th gear. The course conditions in the main and short obstacle never give a long enough run to stay in it to get that far. The torque is more than enough to move this thing very well, the engine build falls in the 45-50 hp range based on similar builds tested by riders on the LTZ forums.

In redoing the jackshaft sprockets, the 1.25 dia. shaft caused a bit of head scratching in getting a final gear ratio. the various positive locking bushing types relate to shaft OD and to get taperlocks that fit i had to go with 15T sprockets, which are larger than I've ever run on the jackshaft. final runs ended up 11/21 on the engine drive and 15/39 on the wheel drives for a final ratio of 4.96.

I had been in the high 5s and was really looking forward to running this new ratio which stretched out the 2nd gear range and would cut down the need to shift up in down 2/3 when the course goes from really rough to moderate--which it does a lot.

As always I have plans for the winter in the noggin, whether i get to them or not remains to be seen, especially with the jeep now in the stable.

the front kingpins are worn to worrisome levels, a ton of slop up in that area, same with the steering rack, the whole front needs a chop job to relocate that to kill the bump steer. the EPS is doing a good job of "hiding" that issue, but it still needs done.

At the back I want to lengthen the trailing arms and move the mounts about 6 inches in towards the front and get rid of the clamshell-clamp eccentric hub and go with tensioners. lighter and the clamshells are stretched so the hub slips no matter how tight. I also have plans for a rear anti-sway bar using leftover leaf spring leaves from the jeep, I have too many near-rollovers in the deep off camber ruts on the course. A bar back there would've likely prevented the barrel roll job i did down the hillclimb in the first race this season.

a set of coil spring radflos would be nice too ...anyone have a winning lotto ticket to sell? ....