View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 11:17 PM
Power User

And ironically 1 year later ... here's the latest update Have not been on the forums anywhere much this year. Getting the go kart track going really ate up my free time.

After last year's run, the old yerf rack finally died on me after turning two laps in the back yard. locked up with mangled teeth. Redesigned the front a little bit and put an 8.5-in. latest rage rack in it. not a fun ordeal, narrower rack, better for mine in some ways, made new spindles with shorter steering arms but still not enough room to run the tie rods direct off of clevises on the end of the rack. So i came up with a new version of the "spreader."

Race 1 in june with that, made it all of 1/4 mile or so and blew the clevis bolts that hold the spreader right out of the rack. way too small and some other issues going on there.

Redesigned rack setup, Race 2 in july. Finished a lap, jackshaft shifted to the right in the bearings and i threw the chain maybe 1/2 mile before the finish line. had the ignoble fun of getting pulled thru the finish line after Mr 1-wheel peel dug himself a nice tire hole at the tiny little hill at the finish line.
Bent the new spreader.

Later discovered that the rack shaft was rotating upwards, pulling the tie rods in and giving some pretty drastic toe-in. felt it in the handling during the race, very skittish/darty right from the get gone. Came very close to rolling it in the first turn when i hit the hill on the steep side with the sun in my eyes.
Have redesigned the rack setup yet again for the final race of the season in 2 weeks.

vid of that race, and a pic of the new setup. old shock tie rods are finally done and gone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjYrSLvpWBo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rack sandwich done.jpg (90.0 KB, 5 views)