View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 07:31 AM
Heavy Contributor

guess typed out the last comment little fast. The voltage meter on the buggy, is the one I was referring to. Used a hand held one to check the yellow and red leads. I double check it first, by hitting a few thing on my truck. Seem like all working well. Don't think it's a low battery on the hand held one.

Yes, if I hooked up the buggy to my truck battery, via jumper cables. since battery is in tight place. I hook the positive to the main feed to my block out. Which leads straight down to battery. For the negative, I just hook to frame, down by where rear engine mount is.

I can hook up truck battery, via jumper cables. The buggy volt meter will read 12.2 volts.
(The truck is not running). just hook up, while truck is dead. not using the trucks charging system.
Starts right up. Leaving the truck off. The voltage meter on the buggy shows what I would say a normal reading. from 12.5 to 13 volts.
The moment I take off any connections to the truck battery. Buggy volt meter goes crazy. or just more like, the lights die on the meter. (that's what was happening this last weekend)

What was different yesterday.. ...... When I would take one of the cables from the truck battery. It was still showing a good 12.2 to 12.8 charge on the buggy battery.
I would let it idle for while, just on the buggy battery. after while would show 13.0. I would shut the buggy off. Then try to start again. Got a click. Then the buggy meter would jump all over the place, reading around 8 to 9 volts.

Would say easy enough just go replace the battery. However, don't explain the low volts on the yellow wires. Is it possible for battery to have some sort of negative reaction to the charging system? Something tells me, it's more then just battery, but could be wrong. I almost want to say, by way it reacting. Might be a bad ground.
Thou, way set up, be hard to loss a ground. Pretty much everything in back, is grounded by the block out. A few minor things up front of buggy, is grounded to frame. Guess need to check all connections on the block out.