View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 08:13 AM
Heavy Contributor

Well, got it off, within 5 mins, after getting the castle nut wrench. Had to grab a 3 feet cheater bar to break it over.
Travis sent me a new starter clutch, and castle nut. However, kids got to messing with the package and lost the nut. So half to order another one. I started tearing this project apart and few months ago. Then turned really cold, and been sitting in garage for few months, waiting for me to finish it, and put back together.
Got a lot of questions, before put all together. The right case seal on it, looks in good condition. Not very many hrs since bought it. The seal for shaft looks good as well. However, should I just get new ones? Just to make sure. Hate to get it all together, then leaks. But if I wait for new seals, buy time can buy, be another 2 weeks before can put together.
Another question. Since nut was so tight. I had to back it up from the other side of shaft. Backing it up off the nut holding down the variator. Now I’m guessing since one side is reverse thread, and was backing it up from other side. Now the nut on the variator side, is now as tight as was the castle nut. So guessing I need to figure out some way to get the variator nut lose, and tight down with correct torque before running. Any idea’s how to get that done? Since will be just tightening each other down, while trying to tighten the other.

One other thing. When I drained the oil, I tried to keep an eye on it. Ran my finger through the oil as it was draining. Seemed good. Could feel any metal shavings. However, opening the right case. Was metal shaving all over the bottom of it. The shaving was pretty small. Looked as if all of them was in a “0” shape, or half to ¼ “0” shape. 100% was not spark plug. Way to small. Size of the “0” shape might be 1/8 dia. At best. As was cleaning it out, I pulled off the big sprocket off the starter clutch. Castle nut was still holding it on at this point. When pulled it off, found something small on the bottom side of it. Was a metal hollow cylinder. Very small. Same size as the shavings. One end was chewed up. The other end, as recall, was tapered. And thought the end of it was black. Was maybe and inch long, if that, and around 1/8 in dia. Looked like maybe could be some sort of guide for something? Reminds me of the cylinder shape guides that helps connects the cases, to engine. But very small. But got the impression it came from the starter clutch. Again, ways laying on the bottom of it, after taking the big sprocket off. But cant tell, where it might have come from.

ANYBODY, have any idea, what it might have come from? If it’s not from starter clutch, then be a good idea, to find out where it did come from. SORRY, when found all of this, was getting late. Placed the shaving, and the piece of metal on a table outside, and was going to take pic in morning. Un expected storm came in, and lost it all.

Any thoughts or concerns about this?