View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 07:14 AM
Power User

Got it mostly done in time for the race. but of course, with cutting it too close, I encountered a few hiccups. first off, don't go with a left foot clutch when your right foot can't get to the brake!

Starter decided to quit working 1/2 hour before the race and a crack in the rad appeared 1 hour before the race. stop leak for that. nothing for the starter but to smack it with a rock, or rock it while in gear--which is what i did at the race start.

Managed to move up from 14th to 9th on lap one, but heard the right chain skipping right from the get go. 1/3rd of the way on lap two i heard the dreaded big bang of a pillow blow bearing shell blowing out. made it to the hill climb with 1 wheel drive, couldn't pull it, rolled back into the mud hole and ended up stuck there for about 20 minutes until i got towed out.

despite all that, pretty happy for running with just about zero pre test time. (2 laps around the yard which revealed a WOT sticking throttle then on the trailer.)

clutch has been changed to hand op on shift lever, the fan holed the rad in other spots and drained it all, so good that the bearing blew out. rad has been epoxied so i can flush the sytem and see if it still runs and also figure out the starter problem.

I think the jackshaft is torque twisting because it was the right side bearing yet again. going back to 11T sprockets (never had an issue) and also going to change to axle style bearing hangars and flanged axle bearings. no more cast pillow blocks with the shell taking all the pull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPyT0stXq8U

Last edited by x-bird; 06-09-2015 at 07:18 AM.