View Single Post
Old 06-28-2015, 10:18 PM
Power User

Hopefully next vid will be far better!
Been going at it since a few days after the race to resolve the jackshaft issues once and for all and to also improve the roll cage.

1-1/8th 4130 cro-mo for the new top bars and rear diagonals. still need to add some cross braces to the top 3 tubes, similar to what i did with the Sunl-zuki

Also bashed on the pretty twisted LTZ front bumper and made some mounts for it. Got it fairly well straightened out. Mulling over using the rear LTZ fenders reversed as front fenders. need some better splash protection.

Jackshaft is Azusa tubular cro-mo, 1 1/4 OD, 1/4 wall. Pricey bugger. Went the cheap route on the bearings and flangettes for now, can get better bearings with cassette mounts, but not in the budget at the moment. These spin with far less drag than the pillow blocks. Hardest part of the job was cleaning off the old mounts.

Alignment was as simple as shimming the trailing arm bolts to fit snug into the jackshaft and keeping it long enough during this phase to catch both bolts. Put it right on pivot center with no futzing with levels and all that junk.

Going with 4 interlocking hangars, 2 on the frame, 2 on the engine cradle. Engine and cradle have to come out to pull the jackshaft, but so far it's proving to be 20-30-minutes to pull the entire works. Second time i've reinstalled it, all 19 of the 5/16ths bolt holes and welded nuts lined up on the money.

Bumped up to a 22 T driven and 12Ts as the drivers on the jackshaft. LTZ proved to have more than ample power for the 5.60 ratio I ran, this puts it down into the 5.0 range, should give the lower gears longer legs, she was winding up pretty fast with the 5.60 setup.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jsrc.jpg (42.8 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg jsi.jpg (61.0 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg jslc.jpg (38.9 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg bmpr.jpg (46.3 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg cged.jpg (63.3 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg jsr.jpg (50.4 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by x-bird; 06-28-2015 at 11:32 PM.