View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Power User

So i took the plunge and decided to address the front end. Waaaay back when i put the rack in, i was forced to mount it in a manner that gave less than desirable geometry with resultant bumpsteer--and none too perfect alignment. I can't move the rack, so i came up with a drop linkage to connect the tie rods to in a position that improves the bumpsteer issue.

old junk used includes two used up 1" holesaws and a couple cro-mo tube stubs over the holesaws to provide a little more meat to work with. (holesaws fit over the rack perfectly). Those were notched then a 1/4 in thick tab welded in on each side to make a pair of "D" caps that bolt over the ends of the rack. The "D" flats prevent the linkage from rocking and binding the pinion gear on the rack.

Flat stock provided the plates. Those are welded to some golf club rack tubing that already had a slip-fit setup. I added a spacer and boxed the inside to prevent crushing. A bolt goes through into a nut welded to the backside. The two halves separate pretty easily.

A bit beefy, but you know how i am. LOL

Been having fun with my "new" drill press. something i should've bought a long time ago! ($50. 1983 3-spd bought at local rental place tent sale) runs like a champ.

tie rods are going to be 1" cro-mo--same as the a-arms-- with weld in bungs and 1/2" heims l/r. Old rods are in just to show change in angle in relation to the arms . spindle steering arms and mount points will also be revised and beefed up. heim will sit vertically with a misalignment spacer on each side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kaw3748.jpg (90.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg kaw3763.jpg (82.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg kaw3773.jpg (90.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg kaw3774.jpg (91.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg kaw3782.jpg (84.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg kaw3791.jpg (88.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by x-bird; 08-06-2013 at 10:35 AM.