Thread: Light upgrade
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 07:00 PM

Default Light upgrade

Recently, with the change of seasons, I find myself pulling my drop light over to the bench to see what I am doing anytime after 4pm. This drives me nuts, as I usually really get things moving around noon, and there I am, searching for a light source. I decided to upgrade the lighting in the garage, so I can still work in the afternoons and with the door closed, if needed. Doing this, I found that our garage is NOT a 2 car unit, it is slightly over 18ft wide, and around 24ft deep. I decided to upgrade, and keep it simple, as this is a rental, and I will remove everything when we decide to leave.

I used 4, 48in twin T8 light fixtures from home depot($28/ea) with 6500k tubes(daylight). The wiring isn't quite to code, but trust me, there won't be an issue unless for some reason, the owner calls in an inspector. That would mean he is selling, and we would be leaving anyway. Needless to say, the wife and I are impressed I may go back after the holidays and add a 2ft under shelf unit over the bench, but for now, this is a much needed improvement.

For anyone struggling with lights, I highly recommend looking into fluorescent upgrades like this. I could have gone with less, but I would have likely added more at some point. I have seen some guys on lighting sites using 12 of these in a 24x24ft garage. I would need some SPF50 to work in that garage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-12-08 15.08.09.jpg (89.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-12-08 18.53.24.jpg (91.8 KB, 17 views)

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'