View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Default Putting a bigger engine in a 150...

I have thought about this many times and I feel someone likely has thought about it as well. I wanted to do this with my Helix and the next one I get I very well may actually go through with it. Best I can tell there are a few heavy obstacles. One thing being how to mount it, the other being the fact that you need to find replacement engines with a right hand drive chain. Most engines are left hand driven. There are two machines that I have found to be suitable candidates. One is a trailblazer 250 and the other is actually a bombardier 200 or 250. The trailblazer would likely have more power because it is two stroke. The other advantage being that all of Polaris' chain driven machines drive from the right side. This by itself will save a ton of work. The other thing that has to be dealt with would be how to mount it. The 150's are overhead mount. In addition to the mount, how will you go about adjusting the chain? I think I found the answer in another machine that I had: a Murray killowat go kart. This machine appeared to have a fixed length chain with no adjustment. Drove me nuts trying to figure out how in the world to deal with the slack chain on it. Then after taking a better look at it, I came to realize that they had a fantastic design that I could use on my 150 mini buggy idea. The entire engine plate moved! So effectively, I could remove all of the top engine subframe and weld in a mounting plate between the swing arm rails. This will connect the trailing arms as the current subframe does and also give me a way to adjust the chain. Each trailing arm would have two tabs on it. One at the head of it the other towards the back. A flat metal plate would bolt to these tabs and would have slots that allow the plate to be slid forward and backward to adjust the chain. This plate would also allow me something to weld motor mounts to.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?