View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 07:18 AM
Lurker

I cleaned up and lubed the clutch and mounted the new Predator 212. The Predator's shaft was about 3/8" shorter than the Tec. 6.0 so a longer bolt for the driver was needed which I found at Home Depot. The Predator motor was already set up for the throttle cable so that was pretty easy. I spliced in the kill switch on the column too.

The existing seat was a couple of outdoor cushions so I made new ones. I used 3/8" CDX plywood for the bottom/back and found 2" cushion material and black vinyl by the yard at Hobby Lobby currently 30% off. I shaped the cushion material with my battery powered fillet knife, stretched the vinyl over the seats and used about a hundred staples with my air stapler around the back side. $22 for new seats and about 45 minutes.

Filled the motor with oil and gas and it fired up on the third pull. I ran it around a bit and during right turns the right wheel was hitting. I found the right A-arm was bent, probably from a collision with a tree or something and the brake was barely functioning. I also ended up pulling the throttle cable eyelet below the seat off twice so I ended up soldering it in addition to crimping it as hard as I could would vise grips. Will add a foot pedal stop to prevent this again and I'm a little concerned about the light metal linkage on the motor bending under a heavy foot.

I ended up ordering a few more parts...right A-arm, new wheel lock nuts (existing pretty used and not locking so well), a new belt as someone put on a sym. v-belt instead of the correct asymmetric one (Part 203591 should be right as my c/c on the clutch was 6-11/16" after reassembly and the driven is 7"), and a new brake band...I have the 4.2" drum...I hope the new band gives some decent stopping power because it's almost 0 at the moment. Also after riding awhile with myself and daughter it became apparent that the front shocks will need replaced so I ordered these 12" ones http://www.*************/Mechanical-A...80.html...they were a 1/3 less than the stock ones, hopefully they work. Found 2 nails in the rear tires which I plugged...not sure how they weren't leaking before.

All in all including all the new parts and cart price I'm into this for $480...a little more than I planned but I'm satisified. Hopefully I can get the old 6HP Tec Powersport running and sell it...any idea what it would be worth?

I've had so much fun I may have to build myself one now!

Last edited by Ryan937; 08-05-2013 at 07:29 AM.