View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Contributor

Thanks guys, but I gotta get this thing done so I can move back into the shop, and work on the Puddle Jumper.

One thing for sure, if even just for a few hours sat. morning, DP in October is looking like a DEFINITE!

Knee deep in the little engine today. Just as I thought, the crank is trash, both main bearings and the rod bearing rough and gritty feeling, rod burned blue from wrist oin down to the crank journal, oil pump also shot, piston/cyl wall clearance .038(10 times normal!), I guess if you run them with half the fan shrouds removed, and no air cleaner element, you should expect these little hindrances...LOL, check out the overall condition of the engine externals...

That is how it was operated, and what it looked like when I took possession. It took 6 hours of hand cleaning the externals, BEFORE I even open it up.

But she cleaned fairly well, and is ready for some internal dremel work(stress relieve) before assembly. Cam should be in from Eric next week, so I can check piston to valve clearances, and compensate as necessary, I'll go ahead and match the intake, start fabbing the exhaust(also for port match) and clean up the bowl areas under the seats, check for spring bind, and correct if needed, re-do the seats....yadayadayada...just a bunch of ole man stuff, cause I got time..LOL!