View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 04:07 PM
Heavy Contributor

Well, I was wondering, and guess it lasted for a year. When I chose to use an exhaust to the right, I would had to make a mounting bracket on the spider box cage. Now since the Engine is mounted to the spider box, in the front with a large bolt that comes across. And then mounted on the back, to the rear engine mount. I figured there might be a little twisting going on. However, not as much as I found out it does. This weekend, kids and I took it out to play. Just added new fender brackets, to the front. Also added some mud flaps. Did some touch up painting on it. And replaced my old rubber intake between the intake and carb. Told kids to give it some good runs. Wanted to know if the fender mounts was going to hold up. Right at the end, my son brought it back from it's last run. And right away could tell something sounded different. Sure enough. The stainless steel exhaust, right in front of the muffler, broke in HALF. I don't mean cracked. It broke IN HALF.
Everything still runs OK. Sounds much deeper, without a muffler.
Question on that. Is it OK to run it without a muffler? Or do these little engines need back pressure?
Anyway, this proves, these engines Move and twist ALOT, even mounted in the spider box.
Wondering if adding the extra support on the rear engine mount, with the rubber bushings didn't increase this effect?
I've got some pics of it all, just need to get it uploaded.
So need to figure out now, how to mount the exhaust to the engine on the right side. I guess. But for time being might just run a straight pipe for now, until I can fab up something different. Engine be ok running a straight pipe for a while?