View Single Post
Old 04-02-2016, 08:26 AM
Lurker

Default Update

Yep, I hear ya. I don't know what those shocks were made for but I believe they were made for those who use lift kits on their 4 X 4's. The clamps are nice and tight and the shocks can't go anywhere unless the clamps break, but anything is possible. I do have a full set of shock mounts I will weld in place some day so the shocks will slip right on or off when needed. Yesterday I blocked up my engine 3" above the angle iron platform they nicely welded in place and I notched out 3/4" by about 14", moved the engine over 1/2" and re-drilled a nice set of holes and placed the bolts in and I am very happy with it now. I used my aluminum yard stick as an alignment tool from the large sprocket to the drive sprocket and they are dead on and the engine is now straight!!! That angle iron mounting platform must be about 1/4" if not 3/16" !!!! Hardened steel can be a bear to cut, let-a-lone to drill!!! It was giving the jig saw fits and I was toasting cutting blades and with about 6" left, I Dremel cut using about 8 wheels about half way through and the vice grips bent and snapped off the rest. Nice and clean!! Luckily the new 4 holes were next to the old ones in the frame.
NOW, I have to figure out where and how to mount my nylon idler pulley so the chain don't roll over the cycle frame. The chain route is the only bad thing here. You can't cut into the motor cycle frame or you lose strength and support and you don't lift the chain too high or you hit the frame in front of the big sprocket. I was almost thinking of running a jack shaft with a double roller sprocket and two chains. I love a challenge. Anyway, this beast has no reverse but will top 70 mph though . Anyway, I love a thinking game as long as there's a solution at the end of the tunnel. BTW,, I reversed my wheels and changed sides because the tires are directional and now I have a wider stance and can get the taller wider tires now. I would be happy with a 12-14" wide mild sand paddle though. My wheels will be fine for now, because that's why they call them balloon tires LOL... BUT, for those who didn't know, you can flip your stock wheels but pay attention to tire direction.Just switch sides and flip... Ebay has great prices on them tires!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41uUJ2LL5PL._SX342_.jpg (17.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg resized77.jpg (5.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg gI_0_TensionerUnits480x480.jpg (11.0 KB, 2 views)