BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 10-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Lurker

Default Newbee

Hey guys,

So i have some general question and building a buggy , 1st where can i get a set of plans? 2nd the engine i have is shaft driven ? and 3rd is how long am i looking from a ground up build /
thanks
Wreck
Old 10-17-2013, 01:06 AM
Heavy Contributor

I'm no builder but you'll need to tell these guys what type of buggy 1-2-4 seater what size motor what cc... and the time it takes to build it from ground up is on your ability and knowledge and tools you own.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:02 AM

What he said ^

Shaft drive is likley your biggest issue. Unless you want to buy a donor quad with a shaft drive rear end, your options become expensive and limited. With a tube type solid axle diff, you can make it a 4 link style suspension, effectively simulating IRS(independent rear suspension). Next is your tools and skill level with fabricating. Minimum is grinder, welder, drill press, and a tubing bender. The bending can be outsourced if indeed buy plans which tell you exactly what to do and where to bend and how far.

Plans are available in many places. The banner above should either be for SYC powersports, or for Edge products plans. The edge plans are pretty sound, and have seen several of their plans assembled on various forums. There is also a company in Australia that make plans, and their buggies look awesome.

Time frame for a scratch build? Depends on your available time and money. Some builders can do it in around 150 hours, most novice builders run closer to 1000 hours. The bill for a serious frame up build can run in the several thousand, but if you can buy donor bikes and quads and part them out, you can recover a portion of your investment. These aren't the go karts we used to make as kids, something with 600cc+ engine really needs to be thought out and built properly to avoid hurting someone.

To give you perspective, I have been working on my yerf swap for about 8 months. Aside from a back injury that sidelined me for a month, it has been every weekend and day off in the garage, totaling roughly 20 hours a week. Not to mention chasing down parts, researching new ideas, looking up specs and rebuilding the engine.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 10-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Contributor

What they both said ^

Also cost & time frame will depend on your skill level.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Lurker

ok guys thanks alot , so im looking for a single seat 1100cc shaft driven buggy plan, do any of you know where i can acquire some ?
Old 10-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Power User

Lots of plans to choose from, most are dialed in for a particular engine. However, with nearly all of them, you'll need to deviate here and there depending on the various components you decide to use. Edge, shredder II, drakart, protodie just to name a few have plans out there ...
Old 10-18-2013, 02:11 PM

Not readily. Like I said before, the shaft drive is going to be your biggest hurdle. A simple way of doing things would be to turn the engine sideways and make an adapter to go from shaft to chain drive. since you are looking for a single seat plan, you can try looking for a blown up or wrecked quad that has a good shaft driven rear end. You might be able to find one with cv axle rear end and transplant that over to your buggy frame. Worst case, you would need to use a straight axle shaft drive rear end, also from a quad.

What you are trying build is not something common, and therefor not many, if any, make plans for what you want to build. My suggestion is to find a set of plans you like, and modify them to what you want. If the engine is a runner, then you could always sell it and buy something chain driven that can be easily adapted to the popular frames available.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'