BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 06-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Contributor

Default I want to add front brakes to my Carbide

For some reason, the carbides sold in Princess auto don't come with front brakes. Can I add them? Looks like there are mounts for the callipers but not sure about the how to mount the disc.

Can anybody shed some light?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Power User

typically there's a series of 4 to 6 threaded bosses in a circle on the buggy side of the hub. take hub off, bolt rotor on, put hub back on.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Contributor

Thanks. I'll take a look. Anybody have a carbide with front brakes already on?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Lite Contributor

My carbide 150 has front and rear brakes, I believe it's a 2010
Old 06-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Contributor

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with the two different versions.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Contributor

Well, right from the horse's mouth I guess. Looks like the new specs are single disc brake.

http://www.amsportworks.com/carbide.php

Strange.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Lite Contributor

Interesting, looks like they've made a few changes to it. You could probably add them using parts from the older models. Rotors, calipers, hoses, etc. May even need to swap the master cylinder, i'm not sure if there is one or two ports coming out of it. They must be trying to keep the cost down, i'm not sure why they else they would ditch the front brakes. Did you buy one or just looking?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pullingGM View Post
Interesting, looks like they've made a few changes to it. You could probably add them using parts from the older models. Rotors, calipers, hoses, etc. May even need to swap the master cylinder, i'm not sure if there is one or two ports coming out of it. They must be trying to keep the cost down, i'm not sure why they else they would ditch the front brakes. Did you buy one or just looking?
I've already bought one. I called ASW and they didn't really have an answer... just confirming the newer models only have rear brake. I'd like to do it, but not if it's going to be a small fortune. I'll have to make a list of parts needed form the former model and see what it works out to.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danp View Post
I'd like to do it, but not if it's going to be a small fortune.
Just to give you some sort of budget idea.This is a yerf using Crossfire brakes. I don't imagine the costs would differ greatly from one to the other seeing how they are all pretty much the identical same setup. The cost of hubs, rotors, calipers and the lines came out to be right at $250.00. This doesn't include the cost of a duel master cylinder.
I suspect, since they once were offered, the company simply removed components to save bucks. So it's very likely rotors and calipers would bolt to your existing hubs. It wouldn't make money sense to retool the hubs.So you would save a chunk of change there but may loose your saving if you have to spring for a new master.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 178.jpg (95.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Lite Contributor

I checked on mine, the master cylinder has three ports coming out of it, two front and one rear. Maybe youll get lucky and the other two ports are just blocked off?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Contributor

No luck with mine. Master cylinder is a single port, but I'm in luck with the hubs. Looks like I have the proper ones with disc mounts.

So I think my items list would be something like this.

2 x front disc
1 x master cylinder for the older model that had front brakes
2 x front calipers and pads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0651 (Medium).JPG (77.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0652 (Medium).jpg (91.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0653 (Medium).jpg (93.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Lite Contributor

Don't forget the front brake hoses, other than that, looks good.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Contributor

Right... houses... kind of important. Could you take a pic of your master cylinder when you get a chance? I want to make sure I'm getting the right one.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Contributor

Well, through the ASW parts web site my total would be $312.00 plus shipping. The master cylinder is the biggy... $105.00. Not sure if more stopping power is worth $300+.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Lite Contributor

I'll get a picture tonight. Maybe aftermarket parts would be cheaper?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Contributor

You know a good place for aftermarket parts?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Lite Contributor

Tom at SYC powersports deals with Carbide parts, there is a link at the top of the page. He's very knowledgable on anything buggy related. I've got some pictures of the master cylinder in my phone, I'll get them loaded on here today.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:36 PM

Hey Danp, I think you have a Zircon from the pictures above. Maybe you could find used parts some on ebay. Just a thought..... Stopping power is always good. Just a single rear brake causes skidding on gravel (in theory).
Also what if you are going up a steep hill and you can't make it up? You hit the brakes (back brakes) as you are rolling backwards and then your buggy flips.... Front brakes keep that from happening, just a thought.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Contributor

Hey Nick,

It's an ASW Carbibe, but I think they are the same as the Zircon. Yes, I've already slid into a few things and rolling down a hill is my biggest concern... considering I have my 4 yr old with me almost all the time.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SlickNick View Post
Hey Danp, I think you have a Zircon from the pictures above. Maybe you could find used parts some on ebay. Just a thought..... Stopping power is always good. Just a single rear brake causes skidding on gravel (in theory).
Also what if you are going up a steep hill and you can't make it up? You hit the brakes (back brakes) as you are rolling backwards and then your buggy flips.... Front brakes keep that from happening, just a thought.
A single rear brake will skid on gravel or any loose surface if you lock it down. that is a good thing when maneuvering around, "brake steering". Gentle or gradual pressure will simply slow you down. The main advantage to front brake is they assist in slowing /stopping the buggy in a much shorter distance. The biggest disadvantage to front brakes is you have little or no steering control if the front wheels are locked up. You can't turn if the front wheels aren't rolling. This is a big disadvantage if your trying to back down a steep incline, you have to let up on the braking to maneuver. If your on a incline steep enough to back the buggy over, front brakes won't hold you down. your best bet is to use the least amount of braking possible and keep rolling.
This is a brake bios adjuster. it controls line pressure to the front brakes. The lever is incremented in five positions to go from full pressure/full lock to almost no front braking. This allows instant braking choice on the fly for any kind of situation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 122.jpg (93.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 127.jpg (91.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
A single rear brake will skid on gravel or any loose surface if you lock it down. that is a good thing when maneuvering around, "brake steering". Gentle or gradual pressure will simply slow you down. The main advantage to front brake is they assist in slowing /stopping the buggy in a much shorter distance. The biggest disadvantage to front brakes is you have little or no steering control if the front wheels are locked up. You can't turn if the front wheels aren't rolling. This is a big disadvantage if your trying to back down a steep incline, you have to let up on the braking to maneuver. If your on a incline steep enough to back the buggy over, front brakes won't hold you down. your best bet is to use the least amount of braking possible and keep rolling.
This is a brake bios adjuster. it controls line pressure to the front brakes. The lever is incremented in five positions to go from full pressure/full lock to almost no front braking. This allows instant braking choice on the fly for any kind of situation.
\

Now that is awesome. Hmm, I hear you on the disadvantages. I do a lot of forest trail riding, so swinging the back end around is important. Maybe I'll hold off on the front brakes for a season to see if they are really justified.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Lite Contributor

I've got those master cylinder pictures loaded if ya want to take a peek Dan, there seems to be some differences in how they mount up, but still adaptable if you decide to go that route.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:59 PM

I was about to chime in, but CKAU beat me to it, the last thing you want to do while negotiating backing down a hill, is stop in the middle. It is better to modulate the brakes to control the speed, than to lock it up, besides, once you know you can't make it, you need to start over at the bottom anyway

I also agree on the brake slide for maneuvering, as most of our buggies don't have the greatest articulation when turning.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'