BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Contributor

Default New ASW Carbide and Looking for 4 point Harness

Hi Guys,

Just bought a ASW Carbide 150cc from princess auto. Great deal as somebody returned it because they weren't allowed to keep it. 7km on it.

Anyway, I'm looking to swap out the seatbelts with 4 or 5 point harnesses. There seems to be a ton on ebay for some crazy low prices. I'd like to know if anyone has done this already and can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:58 PM

I too have seen the 4 point non racing harnesses on ebay, and according to their spec sheet, they seem pretty solid for the price. Keep in mind, with off roading, any of those fancy 'cam lock' harnesses will likely jam with all the gunk in it. I was looking at some with an old school looking automotive style buckle with the shoulder straps looped at the ends, and will likely be the ones I go with. Keep in mind the mounting tabs for the belts, if you have to add them, be sure to have a competent welder add them to the frame. If you can add them to the existing frame, make sure it is an integral portion of the frame so they don't snap off if you do roll over. And of course, don't forget to use grade 8 bolts.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 05-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Heavy Contributor

If your going to get belts use the five point. The 5-P belt system fits and holds so comfortably much better with that strap between the legs. And No, there is no problem of getting caught in the privates. If the belts are positioned correctly that strap won't even come close. Without that strap, tightening the shoulder straps causes the lap belt to ride up which positions it wrong and can cause internal injury.
I know several who use the cam locks and never heard a complaint about the lock getting jammed up. I use the old style flip latch just cause it's what I'm used to.
You will need to weld on mount tabs. Most all of the performance venders, Jegs, etc. sell the tabs or most of the belt manufacturers can supply them also. Most all competition belt kits come with detailed instructions on where and how to place the tabs to get the belts positioned correctly.
Once you got the system in and get strapped tight, it's like a whole new ride. The hardest part is learning to relax in the seat and trust the belts. You will be surprised at how much effort and energy you spend simply fighting to stay in the seat. Your no longer fighting against the movements but rather moving with the flow. "you will be as one" with the buggy.
Warning!! A good stout belt system will increase your security and confidence level to the point of trying some really stupid tricks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg track2 019.jpg (96.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-15-2013, 07:59 PM

I was opting for the 4 point harnesses due to the open flooring under the Yerf seats, and unless I cut the seat, I don't think I have a good location for it, but I see your point with the improper belt locations.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 05-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Contributor

Clau, thanks for the info. My other problem is trying to do this without modding the seats. Welding the tabs doesn't look like an issue. It's just finding out if the stock bucket seats will work with a 5 point system. Was hoping somebody has done it and is willing to show the way.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:08 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danp View Post
Clau, thanks for the info. My other problem is trying to do this without modding the seats. Welding the tabs doesn't look like an issue. It's just finding out if the stock bucket seats will work with a 5 point system. Was hoping somebody has done it and is willing to show the way.
are you using a yerf 3206? on the 3206 spiderbox there's no issues at all. the seat has provisional slots for these belts. I got pics of the install. I'll find them this afternoon when I got more time.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 AM
Contributor

No. It's an American Sportworks Carbide 150cc. The seats do not have slots ready for harnesses.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:52 AM
Contributor

Here's a pic of my buggy. Notice the seats have no holes for harness
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buggy.JPG (67.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-18-2013, 10:54 PM

i have 4 point harness seat belts for sale in the sale forum if ur interested pm me they are nice black corbeau belts not cheap knock offs let me know.