BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 10-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Heavy Contributor

Default Yerf Dog Spiderbox engine problems!

Hello, I'm new to the forum, and kinda new to Go Karts and Buggies, I own a Manco Intruder (magnum express 606), and I have recently purchased a Yerf Dog Spiderbox. I go it for 300, but it needs some work, the guy hit a tree so I need new spindles, and a couple of the ball joints are bent. My biggest problem right now is getting the engine to run correctly. I got it to start, but when I go to throttle up it shuts off. I don't know what it may be, It has to have something to do with fuel are air I'm thinking. I guess for now I'll go through and break things down and clean everything I can, I don't want to go to far because this is the first time I'm working on an engine like this, don't want to mess anything up being a newb. What do you guys think the problem with the engine may be?? also the push start is not working, starter solenoid maybe??

I want to try and get it running good with the minimal amount of money I can spend, I'm thinking around 200-250 bucks.

Any suggestions welcome, and thanks!

Last edited by T3beatz; 10-19-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the addiction!
First issue about not running long could be dirty carb, fuel enricher not working,or fuel delivery. Clean the carb- clean everything inside the bottom end, blow out the orficies and jets. Disconnect the fuel enrichment valve, turn on ignition (power it up) see if the brass needle extends about a 1/4" after a few minutes. the factory fuel lines are very small- try 1/4" clear lines, verify tank outlet is clear, new fuel filter.
Second issue- there is a brake switch located on the floor board drivers side of the drivers seat. Verify it's hooked up with the spring on the brake linkage- You're supposed to depress the brake for it to start. BMI.com has spare OEM parts for your frontend.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:19 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
Welcome to the addiction!
First issue about not running long could be dirty carb, fuel enricher not working,or fuel delivery. Clean the carb- clean everything inside the bottom end, blow out the orficies and jets. Disconnect the fuel enrichment valve, turn on ignition (power it up) see if the brass needle extends about a 1/4" after a few minutes. the factory fuel lines are very small- try 1/4" clear lines, verify tank outlet is clear, new fuel filter.
Second issue- there is a brake switch located on the floor board drivers side of the drivers seat. Verify it's hooked up with the spring on the brake linkage- You're supposed to depress the brake for it to start. BMI.com has spare OEM parts for your frontend.
Thanks for the Tips, I'll look in into all of this tomorrow. It will Idle all day long, but not rev up. I'll go through and clean the carb as much as I can. I didn't know about the brake switch, that could be the reason it's not starting from the switch! lol I've just been shorting the to ports on the starter solenoid to get it started. I've checked through ************* And ********** for all the parts I think I need, I'm going to asses a couple more things, I didn't look to see if my A arms were offset or not. thanks.

Also, with the Spiderbox the guy gave me an extra GY6 engine mounted on what looks to be a YD Spiderbox rear frame with yellow shocks hanging on (looks to be in good condition, have to test to see if it works), and some extra tires and rims, Two 18" 4 bolt ATV rims for the front (with the adapters), and the Stock 20" turf tires and rims for the rear... on the kart now are some 18" mud tires on the back (kinda small to me) and the stock front tires. Also, an extra steering wheel.

Last edited by T3beatz; 10-19-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

If it'll idle and start up well then my focus after a carb cleaning would be the fuel enrichment valve (choke) isn't working- either the unit isn't any good or the wiring to it needs some attention.The unit has power pass through a ceramic block.There are many posts about the Spiderbox in this forum for you to gather information from & mod's/upgrade options. The extra swingarm & engine may be handy to have later on! Most of us have changed to 20"-22" rear tires and similar on the front.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Heavy Contributor

Ok today I went out cleaned the carb, and switched the fuel enrichment valve from the other engine. I got the engine running pretty good today, I opened it up a bit and it sounds good (on stands), but sometimes if I just ease on the throttle from idle it will shut down, it's like I have to hit the throttle quickly so it wont shut off. I'll play with it a tad more to see if I can get things better.

I stepped on the brake while trying to start it today and I heard the solenoid clicking, so I think it's bad, I went ahead and ordered a new one to see if that works. I also bought the BDX Heavy duty spindles, a couple new ball joints, and a spark plug. I'll upgrade to the BDX heavy duty ball joints later on, 99 bucks just seems like so much right now for a few nuts and bolts.lol

Thanks for all the help.

One other question, about how much were these things new?

Last edited by T3beatz; 10-20-2011 at 12:03 AM.