BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 05-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Lite Contributor

Default how to drill sprocket hub ???

Can someone help me figure this out.I am trying to drill out new hub from BMI to fit on my spiderbox,but I can't make it run true.Measured 3 times before I drilled and I am still getting about !/6 th out of round.The axle( 1 in flexproof).bearings and sprocket are new.
ANY IDEAS???
THANKS Tim
Old 05-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Lurker

Can you or know someone who can chuck it up in a lathe or a mill? That would be your best bet, you can use a dial indicator, to get perfectly on center. If you are a about 1/16 off center I doubt there will be material left to get it to run true. Did you use a hand drill, if so even if you started on center I doubt that you were able to hold the drill perfectly strait all the way through(no one could)
As much as I hate to say it, unfortunately you may have to get a new hub & have a machinist drill or bore it.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Power User

I had the same thought as to what he meant ... he's actually trying to get a sprocket/rotor carrier hub plate drilled with the sprocket/rotor holes correctly centered.

Last edited by x-bird; 05-14-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Lurker

Ok I was assuming drilling the id to fit the shaft. As machinist I still think a mill would be the best bet.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Lite Contributor

Thanks guys

I ordered two more hubs with the correct bolt pattern.I will use the others for spares but I am still trying to figure out the BEST way to redrill the old hubs.I noticed in Ckau's mod for his axle he used the same hub from BMI.My plan now is to place new and old hubs over one inch axle then use center punch from harber frieght (just found out about these punches) to mark new holes

Thanks again
Tim

Last edited by tim; 05-16-2012 at 11:32 AM.