BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 09-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Mud & uni

Hi, I am thinking about getting a uni for my trailmaster 300 but am worried about it getting covered in mud. More often than not when I ride my entire buggy, including myself, gets absolutely caked In mud. The air box itself won't have a clean spot on it. If I had a uni with no box around it wouldn't that be a problem? I'm curious what you guys have done? Custom box? Clean constantly? Or maybe it's not even a problem? I'm also worried about it sucking in water. When I go fast through water it's like a tilde wave. Thank you for any help.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Heavy Contributor

your gonna have that problem with mud regardless of the type of filter you use With the outer wear it does as good or better than most out there except the inclosed air box type. A little moisture sucked into the carb won't harm anything. if your in water to the point the filter is saturated ,again it's irrelevent, nothing will stop it. Carry a spare uni, oiled up and ready to use in a zip lock baggy so you can swap out if the filter gets nasty. I found dusty conditions clog the uni worst than mud. I'll carry 2 or 3 spares on a long day trip.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Supporting Vendor

You can go with the single stage UNI which does not have the outer red sponge on it then install an outer ware over it. The outer ware does not get oiled and can be removed rinsed in water shook to dry and reinstalled. If really dusty just remove and shake off the dust then reinstall. This keeps from having to carry a spare filter. Outerwares also come in waterproof form to where the water will just run off it.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Lite Contributor

There's not enough room for a pre filter unfortunately. Im going to look and try to put something under it to keep the mud off. Trial and error.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Supporting Vendor

The outer ware will only fit the single stage Uni filters. The red outer layer foam is just like a prefilter so you can remove it, oil the actual filter then put the outerware over it.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Contributor

Yes the dry charger sock saved my tail in a very heavy rain thunderstorm!Had to ride over 6 miles to get off the mountain in rain that soaked me so bad that I did not have a dry place on me all the way to my underwear and slopped in big water holes that flung water every where but the engine never drowned out! mancoman
Old 09-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Lite Contributor

Thanks guys that definitely gives me more confidence in the uni. I figured a ton of people run them and I know you guys get muddy/wet out there. Haha. And mancoman I like your vids! I don't care what anyone says. Lol
Old 09-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Supporting Vendor

Weather you are using a UNI, K&N or other outside of an airbox, the important thing is to keep them clean to the extent they do not suck dirt into the carb. I've seen some who skimp on oil when oiling their filter and especially when using the spray-on type. Use 1oz.-2oz. of oil when oiling. An under oiled filter is as bad as not oiling the filter for dirt will be pulled in to the carb. Last weekend we rode several hours in the rain and it was muddy. Both my K&N and Son's UNI faired much better then when we drive in dry dusty conditions. The advantages of these filters are the performance gaings achieved, and when maintained properly they function much better then the stock airbox with better performance. The prefilter I use on all my units, this extends the cleaning intervals 2 times or better.