BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 08-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Contributor

Default Looking For Shock Recommendation

Boys,

Riding a 2011 ASW carbide 150 and my back is killing me. Any shock upgrade suggestions? I plan on upgrading the seats eventually, but the shocks seem too stiff, or little to no dampening. The springs are yellow, if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Heavy Contributor

I read a lot about people using front shocks off a yamaha blaster and they're pleased with it. Also did you loosen the adjuster on ur shocks too soften the suspension?? .
Old 08-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Heavy Contributor

I'm also considering adding extra cushion on top of my seats with velcroe.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:54 PM

Are you looking for front or rear shocks? The rears can handle some medium sized quad shocks, but the front are a bit more picky with getting them dialed in, and not too hard, but not too soft.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 AM
Contributor

Front and rear really. Just feels like there is no initial dampening.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Contributor

Also, any particular year of Yamaha blaster? There's a tone of shocks on ebay.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 AM

You might want to go out and measure the stock shock length before ordering anything, I know some buggies have longer shocks than others. That being said, the blasters are normally 13.5" eye to eye, at least thats what mine were. It is my understanding that all the years had the same length. Be advised, the eye width was bigger than the stock shocks, so some custom work might be needed.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Lite Contributor

Does anyone out there know if the clutch assy off a Baja GY6 150 engine will work on SunL GY6 150 engine? I have been told that there are different versions of the GY6 150 engines but I don't know if thats true.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Heavy Contributor

I believe they're the same.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Lite Contributor

Miamieddie, Thanks for the imput. Also on another note, I think I saw where you had gutted the original muffler on your buggy? If so did you cut out the end of it to do that, and how big is the opening? Did you see any change in it's performance? And did the yellow spring make a difference?
Old 08-28-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittletstv View Post
Does anyone out there know if the clutch assy off a Baja GY6 150 engine will work on SunL GY6 150 engine? I have been told that there are different versions of the GY6 150 engines but I don't know if thats true.
I believe the difference in the GY6 and clones are short case/long case. If I remember correctly, the buggies use the long case engine, but don't quote me on that. Tom with SYCARMS would be able to tell you 100% on case length. That being said, if it came from another buggy, then it should fit. The other differences are things like valve cover designs, cylinder head differences, and internal cylinder diameter, but none of that will effect whether or not it physically fit in the frame.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Clutch comparrison

Thank you again Masteryota, I appreciate all of your help.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Heavy Contributor

Master I believe most of our 150 buggys are short case not long. kittle I cut the end off my exhause gutted everything out inside and welded the end back on. The exhause opening at the end remains the same. You will have to rejet bigger on ur main jet. I went from a 124 to 132. I'm at sea level. Idk ur stock jet size you'll have to look and see. All buggys are differant.... yes there's a differance but not a wow! Kind but a differance. The yellow main spring helped my belt from slipping. My 11 gram sliders gave it power to climb, go thru sand and mud. Hope this helped out... Eddie.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Heavy Contributor

Oh yea get a uni filter also before gutting. 11 gram sliders is the lightest you can go without effecting your top end speed. Check out my signature below. Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Exhaust, re-jetting, main spring, etc.

Thanks Miamieddie for the info. It helped a lot for what type of riding we'll be doing - (Climbing, sand washes, forest trails, etc). The trick is that here in Phx, AZ we are at 1,117 ft above sea level whereas when we go to the family cabin in Northern AZ it's at 6,381 ft above sea level. Gives thought to 2 different carb set-ups. Anybody out there have another suggestion?
Old 08-29-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
Master I believe most of our 150 buggys are short case not long. Eddie.
It appears you are right, only so much I can store away in this old dome of mine, lol.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Heavy Contributor

Master ; you do store a lot in your head no doubt. I've read a lot of your posts here and the other websites. You, xbird, tomanytoys, chau, and others can't think of there username right now are very inpressive it blows my mind to say the least. My knowledge are just basics only.lol. you guys keep up the good work on teaching all of us even none posters about buggys.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Contributor

Hey guys, I want to get this thread back on track. Still trying to get a better suspension on this beast.

I know ride height is important but the suspension needs some "droop". In otherwords, the springs need to be a little shorter, or softer so that when you sit in it, it drops slightly. Kind of like preloading the springs.
Dr. Pulley variator, 10g sliders, 1500 rpm clutch spring, 39T drive sprocket, A12 camshaft, Intake with Uni Filter, 126 main jet, 38 pilot, performance CDI, performance coil, iridium plug. Now a lean wheel spinnin' machine.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danp View Post
Hey guys, I want to get this thread back on track. Still trying to get a better suspension on this beast.

I know ride height is important but the suspension needs some "droop". In otherwords, the springs need to be a little shorter, or softer so that when you sit in it, it drops slightly. Kind of like preloading the springs.
Shortening the springs will lower ride height, but will not change the spring rate, which will result in the same ride quality. If you know the size of the coil, and the unsprung length, you can try matching up a softer spring from an ATV, that is, if your shocks can be disassembled. Have you looked at the stock shocks for length, and where the spring preload is currently set? There should be a collar at one of the ends of the springs with notches, that can be turned to tighten or loosen the spring tension.

If it is at its lowest preload setting, you might need to look at replacing them, or maybe like eddie said, get some padding for temporary relief. Without some measurements, recommendations are pretty limited.