BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 11-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Lite Contributor

Default 150cc CY6 ATV has a miss (Help please)

Ok guys I know its not a buggy, my son has a "china knock off" Hensim ATV that has the GY6 150cc motor. Bought it new over a year ago and it has ran great until recently. We started to get a "miss", "sputter" whatever you want to call it about a month ago. At first I thought it was bad gas so I added some STP fuel treatment and it seemed to take care of the problem. Now its back! I am thinking now that the spark plug may be fouling because it seems to happen most when the engine is under a load. So that being said does anyone have any insight as to what the problem may be. Also since it is the GY6 150cc, will the performance parts for our buggies work on this ATV. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by peteeod; 11-29-2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 11-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Contributor

Hi Pete,

Yes, many of the performance mods will work with the ATV based on the same engine, so you're in luck there!

As for the sputtering, does it sound like it's the engine combustion, or is it a more mechanical feeling?

If the quad sits for weeks/months between uses, probably what is happening is there is some gas that has gelled inside the carb. This is why your fuel cleaner helped a bit, but it came back. You can run fuel cleaner again, or you can take the carb off and give it a thorough cleaning inside of it (never a bad idea to do once a year, anyway...).

Pay particular attention to getting any gunk out of the main and pilot jets inside the carb bowl at the bottom, but don't scrape them out. Use carb cleaner and compressed air to get any crud out of them.

Another issue that it might be is that your rollers may have developed some flat spots which can lead to occasional hithching of the vehicle when they pop loose. But it sounds more like the carb to me.

Let us know what you find out!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Lite Contributor

Mike, the best way i can describe it is when under a load it feels like its popping out of gear for a second and varies in how bad it is. The fuel cleaner definitly took it away but he ran that tank out. I will run some more fuel treatment and see if that takes care of it again. There is a good possiblity that the carb may be the problem as the ATV has sat 3-4 weeks between him riding it(Football season). I have seen your step-by-step instruction on changing the rollers, I assume i can check for flat spots the same way?
Old 11-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Contributor

Yep, just take off the CVT cover (and exhaust if it's in the way), then remove the variator fan plate and belt.

Once those are off you can easily slide the variator assembly off and lift off the top plate to inspect the rollers.

I wouldn't think it was actually popping out of gear... does it even have a reverse on it? If so, then you might inspect the forward/reverse cable and see if it's centered correctly. Sometimes when they are not adjusted correctly you can indeed pop out of gear momentarily when under load.

The problem with this happening repeatedly is you begin to shear corners off the gears in the gearbox and it gradually gets worse and worse.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Lite Contributor

Mike, yes it does have reverse. I checked that first when it started happening and made sure the linkage was tight. Is there something i should look for to make sure the gearbox lever is center?? I am really hoping this is just the carb, his atv has by no means been abused. I was really looking forward to following him around as he enjoys his new Carbide.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Contributor

One way to test is to adjust the linkage so that it is ALWAYS in forward and won't shift into reverse. If the problem goes away, you may have your answer. This issue is relatively often found on Baja Motorsports products (when it is occurring).

Otherwise, clean the carb anyways. There is an excellent guide here: http://www.battlescooter.com/1.html

The fuel cleaner may work to a degree but is no match for a good carb cleaning.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Lite Contributor

Think I got it figured out thanks to Mike. After removing the front fender, tank cover, headlight housing and seat hoping to gain access the the carb I decided to check the Forward/Reverse shift mechanism again...... I found that the bracket that rotates via the shift lever was lose where it attaches to the transmission. Took it all apart, realigned everything and got it all back together. We rode it around the neighboorhood for about 30 mins with no problems. Seems to have tool care of the problem, time will tell. Thanks again to Mike to the advise.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Contributor

You're welcome, Pete!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Awesome!