BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 08-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Lurker

Default 150 howhit on a yerfdog 3206

I just got his cart. It has ran fine until today, my kids ran out 2 tanks of fuel. it suddenly just stopped running like it was out of fuel again, refueled it and it still would not crank. I checked carb, float/needle valve seem fine, the jets are all clear/clean. I can dribble a little fuel into the carb and it will crank but then stop as soon as that fuel is gone. my compression gauge will not fit the small plug hole, but with my finger I can tell it still has decent compression.

The previous owner installed a CDI coil which "burned up" something. he carried it to a mechanic who put the old coil back on and replaced the entire carb, the solenoid, and some 2"x3" aluminum looking electrical thingy, along with brake pads and drive chain.

Any idea why I am not getting fuel through my carb?? the rubber intake thingy does have some cracking from dry rot, but I do not think this is the problem.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Have you checked the fuel line to verify it's getting fuel to the carb?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Lurker

Yes, fuel flows freely from the tank to the carb. the carb inlet and needle valve, all are clean and clear, fuel bowl fills but the fuel does not make it to the carb throat for some reason, I am not real familiar with cart carbs, but I have rebuilt 100s of boat and auto carbs. this carb has some kind of large round thing coming down from the top that seems to be blocking the carb, it has a needle that goes down into the jet, I am suspect that this may be where my problem lies. thanks for the help Sparkie
Old 08-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Lurker

the carb has some type of a electric needle valve that is on the side of the carb and has 2 wires going to it. If I remove it and reinstall it, it will run fine for about 2 mins then begins to starve for fuel. I sprayed some pressurized (red straw) carb cleaner through the hole the needle goes into. my problem seems to have something to do with this part. is there any way to test this part?? Any ideas??
Old 08-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Unplug & remove the fuel enricher/choke(pay attention to the length of the plunger when cold)- With it out plug it back in wait 4-5 mins to see if the plunger extends about a 1/4". If not it's bad.This would definitely cause your issues about not running shortly after start up.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Lurker

Thanks a million Metalman, I will give it a try. where is the best place to order a new one if I need it??

By the way this is a brand new carb, the previous owner replaced the entire carb, he ran less than 1 tank of fuel out of it after replacing the carb. but I have seen many new parts go bad quickly before, or maybe there is something else making it go bad, maybe it is why the last one went bad.

what voltage should be going to it????
Old 08-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Good question! I'm not sure about voltage(it's NOT 12 volts)-mine have had resistor blocks that the voltage ran through and I don't know what the shunt resistance is on the blocks.I've had 2 new carbs that the enrichment valve didn't work right out of the box.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Lurker

aaaahhhh...looks like a common problem. where do you order your replacement valve from??? and do you have a part number??

Last edited by Sparkiewalt; 08-10-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

I never ordered a new one, just took one off the old carb-Sorry
Old 08-11-2011, 05:18 AM
Heavy Contributor

the eletric needle valve is the fuel enrichener. while with a conventional carb the motor is started with a choke to close off air , this carb has an extra fuel circuit to add fuel to enhance starting. As the motor warms the needle extends to close off the circuit. This enrichener needs power to keep circuit closed. this enrichener can be tested by connecting to any 12 volt source, A battery charger. Watch the needle extend out approx. 3/16". no movement?-replace it! check the wiring connections to insure the enrichener is geting power from the wiring circuit. if not check ALL connections in Entire wiring harness. IE: any bad ground connection can cause this problem.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Heavy Contributor

Your engine is getting fuel while the enrichment circuit is open. Once the "choke" closes off this circuit, you cut off all fuel. This tells me that your pilot jet is clogged and the choke is fine.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Lurker

it appears that the float needed to be adjusted, it was closing the needle valve about half way up to level, Most floats I have ever seen need to close needle at level, I bent the metal tab enough to keep needle open until float was level...runs like a champ now. no idea how it got out of adjustment. I really do appreciate all of the input from all of you. thanks again Sparkie