BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 04-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Power User

Default Stock spiderbox rear tire --max width?

I got my Maxxis 22x12.50x8 treads yesterday (Rubicons) Setting them next to the stock Spiderbox rims on the rear subframe, it looks like i may have a side frame clearance problem.

Before I dismount the stockers and put these on, does anyone know if my suspicions are correct, or will these make it? I'm willing to trim off the inside side lugs if need be.

If they don't fit i'd rather drop them back in the box untouched and take the hit on the return. Heavy puppies!!
Old 04-07-2012, 02:34 PM

My Kenda 22 11 8 tires were pretty close. But I installed the 3" wheel spacers and have lots of room now.

So, I think you'll be pretty close with the 3" wheel spacers.

Maybe you can get the 4" spacers and be good? (2" longer on each side)

The full circle wheel spacers will not fit with the 8" rim. You'll want to use the lug nut extension style like I did. They're like $25 for them on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-ATV-WHEEL-...0a4d3d&vxp=mtr
Old 04-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Power User

Honestly, with the stock axle and the way i drive it, i'm already doubtful the stock axle will last more than 2-3 rides with the weight of these tires. (or even hold up that long with stock tires) Adding spacers just makes me think i'll waste the axle that much quicker.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

At least your expectations about the stock axle is accurate!!!! I'd run the stock tires and save up for a wider axle,then swap out the heavy duty tires.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:37 PM

Well, I reinforced my stock axle and drive pretty aggressively on pavement. Actually dumped it on her side again really hard this time. (just to show you how I drive mine)

We'll see what happens when I get on trails though.

I looked at mine again tonight for you, and I have about 1 1//2" clearance between the tire and swing arm or shock. So your 1 1/2" wider tire should fit OK with the 3" spacers. (3/4" wider on both sides of the tire should still give you around 3/4" clearance)

Surprised no one has asked you yet. What rims are you using?

If they have an offset, you might be able to just mount them up???
Old 04-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Power User

Stock rims in the rear. My thoughts are with msm's. I'll just sit on them. price i paid was about $40 shipped each, returning them for a narrower and lighter tire would be a waste of money. I also think the weight is really going to bog the carter engine down--pretty much any gy6 i think is going to have a tough time moving this buggy bottom end grunt wise, it's heavy. belt and clutch i think are going to be my main issue. there's a mod in the future engine-wise, it'll find me.
As soon as the yerf axle proves its "history" I plan on a large diameter DOM tube axle. New customer at work yesterday might have the bearing hardware i need to make it work. http://richardscompany.com/
Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Power User

"Discovered" what may be a viable option .. for now. The Sunl's rear hubs. I just had to steal an axle nut off it and thought of swapping them. Hub has a disc brake setup that's a pita to deal with, either drop the whole axle or battle to get the caliper off the rotor before the hub can come off. Then i can check the bolt pattern and hub spacing and spline count/dia. Would only be temporary, i don't want to have to find parts for that thing!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Great deal on the tires.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
Great deal on the tires.
Jed's Warehouse on e-bay. fronts (20 x 7 x 8 kenda K300s) were $53 pr. + about 35 shipping, rear's were $115 pr. free shipping. avg per tire is more like 50 with shipping -- still good in my book. They've got some pretty good pricing and selection. missed a local CL score by 1/2 hour for 10 good tires and rims (variety) for $60 total. about 2 miles from my house
Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Power User

UPDATE ...

You can fit these 12.5s, but it takes a bit of tinkering ... and see my post "failure is Imminent" I wouldn't recommend this setup with the stock axle. I'm going to guinea pig it ....

What I did was flip the rim, gained about 1/8th inch doing that ..
Added two thick washers between the axle seat and hub and gained about 1/4"
Added 1 thin washer onto the wheel bolt lubs and gained 1/16th.

Total gain of about 1/2 inch between the tire and rear frame corner

that little bit of movement, plus the added tire weight, width and traction, i'm pretty sure is going to be the end of the stock axle very quickly.

Just going to be easing into the gas off the start as much as possible.

As far as mounting these, dropping the first side of the rim in was no problem, getting the second bead in was a real battle as i don't weigh enough to compress the tread outwards when standing on the tire to get the bead under the bead seat on the rim. I started chewing up and stretching the bead with my bars until i coated them and the bead with a LOT of straight dish detergent ...which made it all the more fun lol ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kaw2089.jpg (84.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg kaw2091.jpg (83.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Lot's of air pressure looks imminent- any side wall movement and you're scrubbing rubber and paint!!! Love that tread design- Dawn detergent is my friend too !!!!
Old 04-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Heavy Contributor

the tires I run now were like that too (22x11x8) a hard turn and you could feel it rubbing... I run the same spacers xlint89 runs and they are doing pretty good right now. I still have the stock axle and I ride pretty hard off road. I've even hit a few jumps and my axle is holding up for now. I have the axle/hubs reinforced a little so that may be helping.

If it fails on me, I will be doing Ckau's rear axle mod.
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Power User

Right now i'm going to run it as is, up the air pressure if need be--it's at 5 psi in the picture. I can't see putting the money into the spacers given the condition of the axle already. if it shears, it's a complete redesign & home built axle or pulling the GY6 and going to the 250 with IRS. just depends on how long i get out of the axle. I'm also wondering if the carter's gearing isn't a contributing factor to the twist as well.

I put my pair of board clamps (cheap craftsman with 18 -inch jaws) about 6 inches apart on the tire and cranked down on them enough to squeeze the tire an inch or two and get the bead to stay under the rim seat when i inserted and pried with my two bars opposite from each other. without those, the first prying action lifted the bead over the rim even with my feet on it. Those and a lot of dawn --lemony fresh rubicons-- made tire number two go on first attempt in just a couple minutes with no bead damage at all.

Last edited by x-bird; 04-17-2012 at 10:51 PM.