BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 03-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Lurker

Default asked a million times...but help a girl out!

New here! I am a dirt bike rider who bought a buggy in hopes of not breaking something before starting nursing school. I still wanna be able to ride, but I'm crazy on a dirtbike! It's not brand new or anything but I don't need anything fancy, just something fun. I got a fantastic deal on one (who knows what brand). But I'll tell you what I know! 150cc. 2 seater. I've worked on my dirt bike and know my way around pretty well.... It has spark and compression... I replaced the carb b/c the guy who owned it before me said that it would need cleaned or replaced. After weighing time and money, I bought a new one. Got it on..... where the heck does the auto choke plug into. It was already unplugged on the old carb when I got it. All that is exposed is white and a grey. Is it wired all wrong? I googled some diagrams and found red and yellow as a possiblity. not an option as it is now. Tried grey and white... didn't seem to make any sort of improvement. Sprayed starter fluid...... starts right up and dies.... not getting any gas. I have no experience with the auto choke and have no idea where it goes except that it probably connects to a color on my wiring harness that is not available. I called the local service provider for a little guidance on where it may go and was told it's different based on brand. I looked for some sort of brand or distinctive marking and there was none! So, it's not getting gas.... and the auto choke is unhooked. Pics are of the buggy and the wiring harness. Any suggestions/direction? Thanks in advance! Ya'll are the best!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0632.jpg (84.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0633.jpg (88.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0630.jpg (93.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Power User

no stickers or anything Id'ing it ??? --sometimes on the engine is one with engine manufacturer and a date, which will help a little. So many of these buggies look the same--same source with small variations built for different brand names. While the wiring is all pretty much the same, the color codes vary, sometimes it's easy to find the right manual with the diagram and color codes in it. That said, it looks like everything is hooked up except what you're holding in the first picture. I have two engines/harnesses from different makes and at first i was mystified. within about ten minutes it became pretty clear that based on plug configurations and wire amounts per plug as to where everything should go. I did end up with a new solenoid with a female end on it and my engine also had a female plug. So if you have a replacement part in your hand that won't connect because of the end, you may need to splice it in. Type "FEV" in the search box and there's a thread showing how to check that it's working correctly. I'd connect those two you have and give it a try. Also, a new carb can be dirty with manufacturing and/or packaging debris right off the start, so it's likely worth checking it to see if there's an issue. also could be a fuel line/pump issue or vacuum connection.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Lurker

Thank you for your reply. That actually reminded me to ask were the vacuum lines connect to. That was something else that was left unplugged when I took possession. Could you explain how the vacuum lines are routed?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Power User

heh, i'm about the last to person to ask, i just went through this myself. LOL of all the lines, it turns out that only one "needs" connected, it goes from the base of the intake elbow to near the top of the carb on the right side. if you have a stock plastic air filter box, the vent line on the top of the valve cover should go to that. the others can be left open to the outside. When i was getting mine going, I found that one of the lines will stall the engine if i covered it with my finger. Also check your fuel cap to see if its vent isn't plugged, basically unscrew it enough to unseal it from the tank and try starting it. Most of the "issues" with these engines turn out to be annoying little hidden things. I really never messed with little engines (or at least not since i was a pre-teen too long ago) and they just seem too finicky to me. Apparently another thing to check is whether or not yu have a gravity fed fuel system or a pulse-pump style. For that, a real GY6 person will need to step in, as i have yet to need to delve into that area.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Lurker

awesome! I thank you! I don't have any experience with these at all. I thought I could get rid of my honda 150 for it, but I think I'm gonna have to get it running and take it out a few times first. Thank you for all of the info. I really appreciate it!!! I hope I fall in love with it so I can part ways with big red (my dirtbike)!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Your FEV/choke hooks up to the wires coming from the block resistor (your wires are gray & black) follow the wires from the resistor till you come to a 2 prong plug, the black may just be grounded. Your carb only needs one vacuum line hooked up- next to the throttle is your vacuum outlet and it hooks to the intake manifold. All the other lines are vented to air. Take a pic of the gas outlet/petcock from the tank- this will help us determine if this is the issue.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Supporting Vendor

The fuel enrichment valve as it is called will plug into the one you were holding. Some models will only work with the engine running but you can try to turn on ignition and see if you have any power at the white wire, if not it could be it needs to be running to check. Put an ohm meter across the ballast resistor and make sure it is not open, be sure to disconnect the wires first so not to get a false reading.Chances are you have a vacume operated fuel pump coming off the fuel tank. Fuel line to top and vacume to the bottom. Some carbs have a vacume air bleed diaphram on the right side of carb forward the throttle linkage. If so vacume line from it to a T then off the T to your vacume source off intake then from T to pump on tank. To test the pump remove the fuel line from carb then turn over engine, fuel should flow everytime piston makes vacume, it will pulse. If no fuel comes out you can have a blocked screen in the tank or a bad pump. If you don't get it runnin you can call 662-301-1563 and I'll help you trouble shoot it over the phone. I'll be out most of the morning today but will be in later in the afternoon.

TOM
Old 03-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Power User

one word of caution on the wires, on mine, black is the positive and green is the ground--basically like AC wiring colors. If you're used to DC systems, (red hot, black ground) that'll throw your off a bit.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Supporting Vendor

She has a gray and white wire to the enrichment valve. The gray goes to the ballast resister with a black off the other side going to ground. Any of these buggies I have worked on the ballast controlls the ground side of the circuit, so on this one the white will be the hot wire.

TOM
Old 03-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Lurker

Default wow

can i just say you guys are awesome! im taking it to durhamtown plantation this weekend! sooooo excited. any words of wisdom for a newby?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Heavy Contributor

check everything twice!! and bring your tools! have fun.
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Supporting Vendor

Good luck, have fun and be safe