BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 07-19-2013, 02:38 PM

Default Is it potatoe or pototoe!?

Well it has been officially determined that I need to replace the cam chain on "ole blue" My question to you all now is do you have to split the cases to do this or is there a way to remove one of the links in the chain in order to install a new one? I seem to recall a thread in BN that indicated it was possible to do so, but I cant locate it now! so can anyone help me out with this one?
Old 07-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Contributor

Remove cam retainer.chaintensioner. variator.behind variator remove 2 screws holding the circular plate. The chain drops down.slide off the crank shaft. & reverse the process for instalation of new chain
Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 PM

And there you have it. Good luck bear, hope to see it running soon after waiting all the time for the valves.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 PM

its potato lol
Old 07-20-2013, 05:57 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Timing Chain Replacement???

How do you know when the timing chain needs replacement?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:12 PM

I'm sure there is a measurement in the manual for the length of a number of links, but most times it comes down to it making noise or the tensioner is maxed out and the chain is still loose.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 AM

Thanks for the info guys, it is a relief knowing that it can be done W/O taking the engine down! I'll get on that either today or next weekend. I have to leave out again today for the project I'm on but I should be back thursday night, so we will see how it goes! I still have to order the parts!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I have to leave out again today for the project I'm on but I should be back thursday night, so we will see how it goes! I still have to order the parts!
That sounds almost like a blessing in disguise, now you don't have to look at till the parts arrive and stew about it being down, plus when you get back, you might have some early christmas presents.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:33 PM

Default Schleprock live!!!

Ok so I actually got a chance to do what you guys had suggested for removal of variator and plate before I left town, but when I took the variator off all I found was a gear pressed on the shaft behind the variator and no plate behind it. This is a 2004 dazon 150r single seater could this be a different variation of the gy6? its starting to look more and more like its gonna have to be split to get it done!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:44 PM
Contributor

Very odd. Ill take pics of mine tomorrow
Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 PM

Thanks Masterman, I'll give them a look, but I dont see anyway that I can access the chain from this vantage. I sure hope I'm overlooking something that will show up on you pics! really not looking forward to splitting this engine if I dont have to!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 AM
Contributor

I'm sorry bear. I'm afraid its bad news. I went out to check an old HH motor I have. Its the same style! I do remember seeing the cover I described. I just can't rember it its on my trail master OR it it was an old Howitt motor I used to have. From the looks of the old HH I have. It does indeed have to be split. I'm sorry for the delayed response. I been covered in work up to my ears!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:59 AM

Thats ok "Batesman" thanks for checking for me, I appreciate it! I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and gut the old girl, when I get the timeI just hate that it happened this time of the year, when I could be out riding the h-ll out of it!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Contributor

Have you considered cheating the timing tensioner by tack welding a few washers on the end of it?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:50 PM

Default Been there, done that!

Yes, I actually changed out the "stock" 54mm tensioner for a 57mm one I got from johnny 5, I thought that would take care of the problem, and it did for awhile, but eventually the chain just stretched more! UPDATE!!! I pulled the engine out last weekend(way easier than I thought) I've got everything on the bench and have looked at the tools and parts that it will take and I got to tell you I'm actually thinking of just replacing the engine!!! its just not that much more! so what do you guys think!?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:46 PM

If there isn't anything wrong with the case halves, why not go all out and stroke it out and go for broke and get the 170cc BBK, and really make 'er scream? That is if you want to keep with the stock engine, of course.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:27 PM

My issue is really the amount of time I have to get things done at this point! so I was just thinking of something to stick in there now and maybe "frankenstien" the "other" engine this winter when work slows down! I'm constantly out of town on projects right now! heck I don't know, just hate to see it sit waiting on me to get it done right now when we could spend that time riding!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:09 PM

Default Might as well jump!

Ok so I'm finally getting some home time from work for at least a couple of weeks so I just ordered the flywheel puller tool to start taking my engine apart. I figured what the heck it could be a good learning curve!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:59 PM

Default Thats it!!!

Ok, I got my flywheel puller in the mail friday and watched a short youtube video on how to disassemble the engine and in less than a half hour had the engine totally torn down!!! now I just have to order the new timing chain and engine gaskets and away we go! How 'bout that you can teach an old dog new tricks!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:01 PM

just curious buddy, who's the old dog?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:59 PM

Well it should say "Gray bear", not just "bear" lol