BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 07-03-2018, 05:02 PM
Lite Contributor

Default CVT Case

So, I am just curious I have the Helix 150cc ASW Engine. I just got it and doing my research. My question in regards of the CVT Cover. I see alot of people running them with it off. I assume the "safety" part of having the belt and fast moving parts. I assume also that running it with cover off will help with cooling. Is this something I shold consider (Running with cover off) while planning on running it hard?
Old 07-04-2018, 08:31 AM
Heavy Contributor

The CVT cover serves several purposes. Other than the safety feature of keeping fingers and other stuff out of the moving parts, It keeps the cvt system protected from dirt, mud, water ,etc. Get the belt system dirty it's going to fail. Second. it serves as part of the overall motor case integrity. without that case the motor can break in half. With the case bolted up properly it supports the transmission tail from twisting under torque. if you plan to run hard , definitely have that cover in place.
Cooling ? obviously the case traps heat inside and the system will run cooler when exposed to ambient air but the designed cooling features will keep the heat within an acceptable range. If you feel the heat is not acceptable think about adding more vents or modifying the case for more air flow.
This works good, A Howett case with the logo plate cut out. A wire screen basket with a filter element. The Howett case with the removable plate makes the job easier but the same can be done to any case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yerf 08.jpg (93.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-05-2018, 08:59 AM
Contributor

You are most likely looking at the scooters running ankle biter covers. It isn't simply running without a cover but just an open cover that still provides support to keep the engine from breaking. If you are just riding around on the road and never plan to see any dirt, mud, or water than go for it. Any of those 3 get on the belt it will cause slipping problems.